HybridZ

Removing Exhaust

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm in the middle of doing the biggest job I've ever done on a car. I'm rebuilding ny TH-350. However, the chump that designed my exhaust made it impossible to remove the tranny w/o dropping the exhaust. To make matters worse it is welded all the way back until the glass packs (which are right behind the tranny). So basically I'm trying to separate the glass packs from the tubing. I'm trying to decide how to do this best. I don't plan on keeping the glasspacks so I don't mind denting them up. What I've done so far is hit the glasspack with a hammer a couple hundred times. It's probably moved 1/2" so far. I sprayed WD-40 on it as well. Should I just cut it with a hacksaw or should I just beat the hell out of it some more? Both will take forever because I can only move the saw a few inches. Any tips? What would you do?

Thanks

A reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade will make short work of it.

When you put it all back together, have a muffler shop cut and flange it so you can remove a section to get to the tranny.

Hindsight is 20/20 on stuff like that isn't it?

Good luck.

Assuming the glasspack goes over the pipe and not inside it, I would cut a thin line along the length of the glasspack pipe segment with a torch. It's delicate but it can be done. If you don't know anyone with a torch then maybe you could try to heat up the glasspack pipe with a propane torch and go back to hammering. DAW

Guest Anonymous

Alright I got the bastards off....

Now I gotta decide what to do with the exhaust. I'm thinking straight pipes would be cheapest, but I don't want the car to sound like crap. Loud I don't mind. New glasspacks would probably be easiest, but I'm not a big fan. I actually thought they sounded pretty good, but I heard they suck performance wise. One thing to keep in mind is I don't want to spend a lot of money. I'm selling the car this fall, so I don't want to dump a ton of money in to it.

Thanks