HybridZ

Sweet block hugger manifolds by Sanderson

Guest zthang43

Guest RisqueRace?

I would have to say that ...yes they are expensive. No they dont match 97 lt1 ports exactly(thats what I am installing) and I am not looking for mega tube size cause you don't need it for a street car in my opinion. BUT,they Fit perfectly. For a stock or mildly modded 97 350 LT1 auto in a 77 280 Z they provide lots of clearence on the steering side and the pax side. perfect dump location and angle also. I am relocating the knock sensor to the first engine mount bolt forward of the block drain location (JTR mount Setup). I welded a pipe fitting to a mount bolt and screwed it in and screwed in the knock sensor. They do weigh as much as the stock 97LT1 manifolds. It made my setup EASY.

I'll try and answer any more questions you guys have on these. It seemed way easier than the custon header thing.

Bruce

The ones I used weren't cast. They were bigger tubes too and while the port matched GREAT they didn't fit on the driver's side. The Rewarder headers I've got now supposedly don't fit onthe passenger side but DO fit on the driver's side. I'll test fit them myself when I've got some time and energy - need to do the CVs still dang it. Supra tuning is eating my time up and I've been pretty lazy lately too :(

Guest RisqueRace?

To answer your question Dan, yes, they are missing two bolts. They are cast iron and have 3/8 thick flanges. Sanderson emphasizes that NO gasket is required and only a thin film of high temp rtv is required. I cannot answer on wether they leak or not cause I am not running yet. Some day soon smile.gif If I have a problem with this product I will post it. So far I am happy with the product and have faith that a cast "manifold" will seal just fine. It is a stout flange and casting.

I have seen these up close and personal. My former neighbor had them on a 55 Chevy. You can get them in 1 3/4 and yes, the two bolts are missing and didn't cause ANY problems.. He used them with a roots blower type setup and they are awesome... VERY good alternative. I thought these were the units BLKMGK bought, and I'm glad to hear they weren't... Yea, they are pricey, but if you see them up close, they look sweet...

Mike 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

I can see them not leaking. What causes the leaks is the different in expansion rate along the header flange and the header bolts in a cast head. It moves around alot when it gets hot.

Also with chevy's siamesed ports (well not really but the two exhaust ports in the middle) put more heat in the middle of the flange.

I've heard that simply putting a slit between each pipe on the flange (between the single front tube and just before the back tube) allows them the movement where they won't leak. Sounds logical to me. Another is to slightly enlarge the bolt holes as they get farther away from the middle, only 1/32-1/16" bigger is supposedly enough to help on a thin header flange and to allow some movement.

One thing I really like about cast manifolds, it kills the ringing the headers do when they're struck with the exhaust pulse. Sounds like no big deal, but it almost sounds the difference to my ear of a car with slightly out of adjustment lifters that are too loose and one that is adjusted properly, its a ticking sound, sort of, thinwall headers make.

Regards,

Lone

• 1 year later...
Guest RisqueRace?

Hi All, it's been a long slow road on my project but I am now up and running since aug 03. I said I would post when I had personal experience on the sanderson cast manifolds. here it is

no problems with leakage at all

nice and quiet...ie no ringing from exhaust pulses

fit is perfect, even with a relocated GM a/c compressor on the right side. 97 LT1 setup. tons of room on the left side.

Easy hookup to remaining exhaust and allows excellent locations for o2 sensors just below the exit flanges.

negatives are

pricey

weight

Bruce

I have to add that mine are coated, I wish there was a bit more prep to them before the coating but the coating is holding up just fine.

Sweet it is! I just made a post on 12/8 looking for high-flow cast iron manifolds. I,m building a Velo Rossa kit and want to keep as mush noise and heat under that fiberglass bonnett as possible. I almost became a coated header convert but these things are just what I was looking for! I've got aluminum heads, intake, etc. so I don't mind some extra weight.

Thanks for the post!!!