HybridZ

FULL LENGTH 1 3/4 vs 1 5/8 HEADERS

Corzette

I don't think that any power gains/losses will be significant enough to effect your decision. The one issue with the S&S headers is ground clearance, esp. on the pass. side. I also found with mine that the collector placing made the use of these headers impossible (using T56). I ended up cutting them up and converting them to Tri Ys. Now I have much better ground clearance, and better flowing headers (I am assuming).

See Here

Tim

• 1 month later...
Guest Fast Frog

Corzette:

I'm no expert in this area. And if you've been following past posts in this area, you've notice quit a bit of confusion and angst over what is the best set up. I'm still trying to get good info as to the way to go when I upgrade my 383. I've been reading a bunch of material that I received from "Headers by Ed". It's quit interesting and disspells some old theories that bigger is better.

Depending upon HP and application, 1 5/8" work quit well for engines cranking out well over 400 ponies in low to mid range(2000-6000 rpm). When one gets into race application, then bigger becomes better particularily over 6000 rpm. But please don't take my word for it!! Ed's website is www.headersbyed.com BTW, I'm almost convinced to stay with 1 5/8" headers-I just wish I could find a set in long tube form that would fit instead of block huggers which don't perform as well. :(

Rick, Found the article on the 383 449 hp build up. It is called the twister and has at least 3 articles on the build spread over three months starting in june 2002 issue of Chevy High Performance.

If you do not have access to them I will send them to you as I am through with them.

The Aug. 2002 issue talks specifically about the build dynoing and best results were with the Headman 1 5/8" long tube headers.

Let me know if you want them.

Mike