HybridZ

Went over a gigantic speed bump :(

260ZRED

...and now one end of my header pipes is crushed to about half its original width... another pipe got crushed only a little (like a fifth). This is all on those little individual runers, right before they all merge into one big pipe....I have 6->1 headers but I got no idea what company or what design.... What would be the most practical way of straightening my header pipes out? Would drilling a tiny hole and using something to pull the metal back to its original shape work? Any body got a different method? I really dont want to take them off because it is crushed only in one place and everything else is fine....my car sounds a little feeble now and less deep :rolleyes: thanks for any tips on this....

Guest Anonymous

You maybe able to cut out the damaged section and have two new sections welded back in. Call or Take it to a muffler shop and ask them if they can repair it at what price ( or who can). MSA sells a 6 into one header for the L6 for $155.00

I would try and find a body shop that has a pin welder. They weld a pin onto sheet metal and use a puller to pull the dent, then just cut the pin off and grind smooth. I would have the pin welded on, then heat the edge of the dent cherry red, and pull it out! Another option is to weld your own pin that you can attach a slide hammer to and do same thing. I think this is better than drilling a hole and having to fill it back in. After you get it straight, I would think about putting a skid plate on the bottom side of the header.

Guest 240hybrid

I'd go with mikeC's idea...eastwood sells a total package for pinwelding for dent removal. Not too cheap though, runs $315.00 for complete kit to do all the work yourself. Might be cheaper to have body shop do it, but if your like me you dont trust any shops to work on your Z. Unless you have a shop you use on the reg. and trust them.