HybridZ

Side pipe on a 280zxt in a 240, possible/efficent??

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

I was wondering about this one day....how easy would it be to run a side pipe out the driver side in front of the rear wheel. I'm running a 280zxt in a 240 and wondering. Would I be able to install somekind/if any muffler hiden underneath or would it have to be straight run or pipe without muffler. I plan on using 3inch mandrel piping so dont think would be too difficult to weld chrome truck stack to the 3inch tubing as the side pipe itself. have seen truck stacks used to do this on a 427 ORIGINAL AC COBRA. Also will this affect my turbo's efficency/lag/etc.??? I figure this would help with trying to get as little backpressure as possible, would it? I just curious, if very feasible, may consider.

• 1 month later...
Guest 240hybrid

Damn I forgot about this post along time ago...I figure it can be done and shouldnt hurt performance, being that you want 0 back pressure on a turbo motor. I would think side pipes without mufflers would provide 0 backpressure. I'll search on that Zcar with them.

I'm putting a side pipe on my Z in the future but it won't be the side pipes that you traditionally see on hot rods ect. I want to copy what they do to the GTR's. Just a pipe sticking out on one side....and maybe some flames everytime I downshift eek2.gif that would be schweet! :eek::Dtongue.gif

I'm running Dyno Max 54" sidepipes with 26" tires and no grinding.

I had a problem at first with hitting speed bumps then I moved them

closer to the body and taller tires.

But when I do the Coil-overs (thanks Ross) soon I will need to think it all

over. I too was thinking of putting them in the rocker panels, since I have 2x3 angle

running the door jam for support.

www.madmanadam.com

Adam

just cut the muffler off and run a pipe to the side wherever you see fashionable, back pressure gone. one of these days im gonna run one of those old hot rod "uncorkers" that bypass the muffler the old fashioned way, with a cable!

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah making it come out the rocker would look Sweet...wouldnt modification to the floor boards (if needed) inside the drivers compartment hinder the pedal movement some? Or is it possible to route it under and up through the rocker. Might be easier to just dump it out right behind the front wheel. Something similar to what this vette has but in chrome. http://sdweb.com/corvette/sidepipes.htm

Datsa nice.