HybridZ

Runs like crap unless I have full tank of gas?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

That is my story basically. The car will not run under boost unless it has a full tank of gas. Once I drive 70-80 miles and use up 4-5 gallons of gas. I am using the stock 77 gas tank on my Turbo motor, with a Supra TT fuel pump, stock regulator, and aluminum fuel rail. I get 30 psi at idle and 40 psi with reg unhooked. Once i get to around half a tank of gas left, the car will sputter off the line sometimes, and will backfire out of the intake when i floor it. my a/f gauge shows it idles fine and cruises within spec, but as soon as i floor it, it leans out and runs like poop. What causes this? thanks

Oh, i also have a leaking injector i believe. The car wont hold fuel pressure once i shut it off. I clamped off the feed and return lines and it still goes down to 0 within 4-5 minutes of shutting the car off. Is this a major problem? thanks guys

Scott

I also

Sounds like your fuel pickup line on the inside of your fuel tank may be cracked tward the top or just about 4 to 5 gallons from the top! You can either drop the fuel tank to get at fuel pickup. Or go thru your spare tire area in back and you will find round access hole you can open up to get to the fuel tank pickup. Try to clean it off best as possible then open it up and see what you got.

You are losing fuel pressure because of your leaking injector bleeding off the pressure. If its leaking thru the plastic top then yes you need to get another injector. No big deal, while your at it. You might have them clean the other five and also replace the o rings if you haven't done it in a while.

Guest Anonymous

Are you talking about the fuel gauge sending unit hole? How can i fix the pickup. I just replaced all the orings in the injectors, and i am not sure which injector or where it is leaking from. Anyway to tell?

Hmmm. If its not leaking off the top of injector since it bleeds off so fast. Turn off engine let sit till it bleeds down. Then take off coil wire and coil hotwire (so it won't spark at coil) crank engine, check plugs, the wet one is the bad injector. Or possibly crank engine without the plugs and crank engine. Bleeding off that fast you should get some gas comming out of sparkplug hole. Or remove your fuel rail with your injectors still attached and place a little cup (like a yougert cup) under each injector. Crank engine a bit then let sit and see which one leaks off. BE CAREFUL; MAKE SURE COIL WIRE AND HOT WIRE AND PLUG TO COIL IS DISSCONNECTED SO YOU DON'T BLOW UP! You'll be around alot of gas!

On my turbo its the fuel tank gauge unit, which has the sub gauge float, main gauge float,sending unit,and filter. You would remove the whole unit. See if the fuel line running to filter is cracked etc. That's all I can think of that would cause you to not get enough fuel at boost(with 1/2 tank); but changes when you fill up your tank.

Are you vented properly?

RE checking the injectors, J.C. Whitnetr sells a f.i. tester which lets you plug into each injector plug to see if the light pulses in the tester for that injector. Very useful in troubleshooting. DAW