HybridZ

Peak and Hold Injectors in a "Saturated system

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking at the possibility of using low impedance aka peak and hold (P&H) injectors in my eec-IV system which is high impedance aka saturated.

Couldn't one design a simple resistor box with the appropriate high quality resistors and a heat sink to be used on low impedance injectors,so they can be compatable with saturated drivers? (I think honduh tuners have something like this). I'm doing the cost-benefit thing again trying to find an injector in the 36-45lb/hr range which are hard to come by and are $$$ in saturated form. In contrast injectors of this size are common in P&H DSM guys etc.

Guest Anonymous

not to question your intelligance or anyhting but are you sure your eec-IV sysrtem is high impedance? my 87 thunderbird turbocoupe is equipped with the eec-IV system and i know it drives low impedance injectors.

I'm pretty sure that EEC-IVs are NOT using peakhold driers. All of th eBosche style injecters that I'm aware of are saturated. I do sometimes get confused on this though so if someone can cite a source please do. If memory serves the T-BirdSVO used 24lb injectors - gray body or orange? I cannot recall exactly but I'm pretty sure that it's saturated.

As for a resistor box - yeah I'm 99% sure that will work. In fact I've been told that the AEM system I want for the Supra requires a resistor box in order to drive the stock peakhold injectors liek the Supra has. Guess what, the Supra is already equipped with such a box - it's not being done in the ECU :confused: Works for me - PnP baby! As I recall Peak hold use a ton of juice at first, then once it's open the amperage requirements drop - yes? I swear I always get the two different setups confused (sigh). Supposedly higher amp drivers can be soldered into the EEC but it's a job. If you can find a Ford Mustang board with technical folks and not just keyboard mechanics you'll proably be able to find out what they've been using. Once you get over about 42lbs finding saturated injectors is supposed to be nearly impossible. Getting into the 72lb+ range and well I think it IS impossible. Considering the short pulsewidth you would need to idle such a big injector and the hysteresis involved in getting that I think I can understand whay saturated isn't used... shifty.gif

Guest Anonymous

Although I have not put an ohm meter to an SHO injector Vadim at the Sho Shop assures me that the are high impedance hence saturated.

Yes BLKMGK there is a Mustang tuner that claims to convert saturated eec's to P&H. Costs around $250. Add to this the cost of used DSM... etc injectors probably gets to the $400.00 range. I could probably get by with Ford Motorsport 36lb/hr. injectors but they stopped making them and used sets are hard to come by. Some NOS left possibly probably in the $350+ range. If I can use a self engineered resistor box I could get to $200.00 or below range.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm 99.9% sure that a simple resistor network will not work. The reason for this is that the peak-hold type injectors simply require more current to open (hence the 'peak' part of the name). Generally, this is considerably more current than the drivers for a saturated injector are capable of delivering. Adding resistors to the circuit will only reduce the amount of current sent to the injector.

I believe that what you will need to make this work is a solid state, high current amplifier that triggers off of (or replaces in the case of the EEC-IV mod noted above) the original saturated injector driver's output.

I don't know much about "Peak/Hold" or "Saturated" Injectors, but I can tell you about Low Impedance and High Impedance injectors.

DSM's have low impedance injectors, but there is a resistor pack (it's on the firewall) inline to bump them up to high impedance.

If you're looking for DSM injectors try going to http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com and emailing Gary.

• 2 weeks later...