HybridZ

4 throtlebodies on a v8

Guest jens

If i want to run 4x55 mm opel efi throttlebodies (similar to cross boss) on a homemade intake (v8) would it make a big air distribution difference if i mount them so the throttleblades open sideways instead of making a complex linkage so they open like a 4 barrel. Is it true that the volume of the intake should be the same as the engine size or is there a formula. How much cfm is 4x55 mm or 4x65mm.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think the air will care which way the blades open, I've seen holleys sideways on a tunnel ram for example unless I misunderstood your question.

As far as the plenum volume, according to Corky Bell its like 75% of the engines cu in. The only thing that might be noticible is the throttle tip in might be pretty quick. Tip in is when all the air suddenly rushes in when the throttle bores all come open. It makes for this light switch modulation of the gas sorta. That said, lots of those hilborn mechanical units are getting changed to DFI and work great from what I've read. Personally I like the idea, it'd look sweet.

Regards,

Lone

Guest jens

V8s with 4 weber 48s with short runners has excellent throttle response so i dont think multiple throttles in a row is a problem. I have seen a 2.4 litre opel kadett 16 v with 4x50 mm throttlebodies devoloping 276 hp driven on the street even though the idle was rough. But it seems 2x65mm throttlebodies on a tunnelram is enough to 600 hp if a 65mm is enough on a 300+ hp ford 302. The problem with hilborn is probably that there is no idle circuit in the throttlebodies so the thottleblades has to be open at idle.

Guest Anonymous

You could make the tip in problem go away by operating on one throtle-body to the half way point and then the other three catch up. You know like progressive linkage.

Guest Anonymous

Cool idea, hey.... digital rebirth of the 3-2's with progressive linkage as you mentioned!!!!!!!!!!!! rockon.gif

Regards,

Lone

cant see how it would be much different than progressive linkage as far as the linkage is concerned. 3x2s is one of my favorite setups, what you know about 427/435 tripower? went for a ride in one of those, and there is nothing like a bbc coming full steam at 7k---WITH THE TOP DOWN!