HybridZ

280zxna FI system to 300zxna FI system

David K

im sitting here reading all this stuff on the 300zx efi swaps into earlier z's. All i wanna do it get rid of my 79 harness and EFI system and put in a 300zx na system and harness. i want the air flow meter gone.

If possible, can somebody, or everybody please wite back to me and give me a step by step rundown? im going to the junkyard in the morning to get my parts for the swap.

the reason for the swap is that i have too many problems with the stock setup and the AFM is just to hard to mess with. i have a fuel dilevery problem on highways, and if i fix that, i then have problems on the street. its almost unfixable.

im just going to get my parts from a 300zx tommorow and wire it up and go with that. any info is apprieciated, but i prefer info on the entire swap from start to finish. thanks guys.

system is 79 L28 N/A

Don't get discuraged if you don't get much of a response. It is very possible to do, there is a lack of info due to the fact that the wiring diagrams for the 300ZX/T engine harness are not in the off the shelf hand books such as clintons and haynes.

I don't know the main differences in the 300ZX NA and Turbo ecu and sensors/controls, but in the 280ZX's case the Turbo setup is superior. This could be true for the 300ZX Turbo ECU as well. All you'd have to do is run with your stock sized injectors vs. the turbo ones.

If you are going out to get the stuff grab as much as you can. You will need a 280ZX Turbo distributor, and the shaft that drives it. From what others have said the plate in the distributor of the `82-`83 280ZX Turbo is the same as the one in the 300ZX. Pull all of the temperature sensors, knock sensor, TPS, air bypass, mass air, fuel presure reg. with the temp sensor in it, coil igniter, may even want to grab the 300ZX coil. As I've learned from pulling out the 280ZX Turbo harness you will want to grab as much as you can. Not just of the engine harness, but also cut into a bit behind of where the engine harness splices into the chassis harness. These wires that go off into the chassis harness will be where you pull power/ground for the ecu, most likely the signal for the coil igniter, also the power leads for the fuel pump. The 300ZX ECU uses distance traveled for some computations, so you may want to try and find where the speedometer cable has a pickup. Others have said that they have run their cars without this though.

I guess the #1 thing that will help you out the most in the process is getting a nissan manual. I don't think they are cheap, but they are the only resource that I know of that has the complete wiring diagram.

Also, read and learn what you can about the differences between the non turbo and turbo systems. Maybe z31.com will have some info that you will find usefull.

I would like to think that the guys that have done this swap are helping to make this swap more commen. I think Josh is going to lend me his harness as soon as he swaps over to a stand alone engine management system. At which point I will study and share in the best way that I can what I have learned.

I have all of the parts in my hands right now to do the swap, but am just lacking an engine harness diagram, and how then it relates with the chassis.

The 280Z/X AFM door type setup is not all that much fun, but it has proven to be a reliable setup (Scotty with his L28ET has taken the system into the high 12's!), and is much more flexable than the mass air flow meter. As someone meantioned this may be no problem with the proper amount of un-meetered air mixed into the equation when going to larger injectors.