HybridZ

Fuel Pump Woes

Guest DISCUS

Guest DISCUS

1973 240 z with LT1 installed.

Purchased a Holley external pump for fuel injection Model # 512-103 it worked well for about 3,000 miles then began to whine like a banshee! Does not appear to affect fuel delivery but very annoying sound that can be heard on the highway at 70 mph. Even very loud when in town.

Quieter when cool. Replaced with same model and the whine started in one hour on the highway.

Suggestions for a better alternate. I have checked the lines, filter, regulator etc.

Guest Anonymous

I don't have an answer for you but if it's any consolation, I have a 73 with lt-1 also and a similar mallory pump that acts just like your pump. Thinking of going back to the stock 280 fuel pumps. I ran one of these for several years and then up graded to the noisy mallory. Let me know if you find a better pump. Mark

Guest LT-1 350Z

I installed last week a fuel pump on a 89 300sel mercedes .it look like the high performance one that vortech and paxton sell. is a bosch and for $106 new. i don't think is a bad deal any info on this pump.

Guest Anonymous

Do a search on fuel pumps. I vaguely remember a 300 cubic inch FORD van had a good electrical pump for the Hybrid Z and also vaguely remember that some aftermarket units were noisy. There was this video on this site of a v8 Z going thru the 1/4 mile at full tilt boogie and you could hear the red top Mallory keeping up with the fast pace too. LOL

I have a peirberg from Cartech in my Z and it is encased in rubber and will fit in the stock Z bracket. Best of all, it is as quiet as a chruch mouse, and I have had it for 4 years on my turbocharged ZX engine. It flows 200 LPH which should be more than sufficient for your use, I would guess. It was 200 bucks, but quiet is worth the price.