HybridZ

Fuel Pump/lines for LS-1

Phantom

I am installing basically a stock LS-1 into my 280Z. I intend to use the stock Datsun fuel tank so will need an externally mounted pump. This is a daily driver that will be making 305-350 HP.

What pump would y'all recommend and what size supply and return lines? Can I keep the original lines and just run slightly higher pressure at the pump discharge to get the flow?

I would post this question on the LS1Tech.com conversions board, or possibly the External Engine board (conversions is pretty low traffic). Those guys will have much more detailed info on the specific requirements of the LS1 and the parts available.

I think the main problem is finding a setup that will work with the PCM. And it's not just a pump you'll need (I posted a reply in the "mountiong" thread, so this is all rehash). You need an FPR and an FP sender. You also need a way to keep fuel in that high presure pump's syphon - either weld baffles and a sump in your stock tank or add an additional feeder tank which would require an additional pump.

I also recommend against re-using the stock lines, although it doesn't seem like Gary's having any problems with his.

Phantom call me or come by and see me. I'll show my set up. Had the car dynoed a couple of weeks ago, and had them watch the fuel pressure while car was being run. Made 297 Hp to the wheels and with fuel pressure set at 59 PSI only droped to 57 PSI at max HP, this is through the stock 5/16" fuel line. The tech that I talked to say this was fine. I am not sure if the slight drop was due to fuel line size, or fuel pump capacity. The LS1 I have has a returnless fuel rail. So I installed a fuel pressure regulator with a bypass and installed this back by the stock fuel tank. E-mail me if you have questions. 2thumbs.gif

I recommend running a single 3/8" line in place of the stock return line. Then use the new 3/8" line as the feed, and the stock feed (5/16") for your return. I think you should always run a return line back from the fuel rail. this keeps the fuel and fuel rail cool while idling.

I modified my 240Z tank for better baffling. You can also use a 75-76 EFI tank.

Pete

many late models run a fuel pump that is pulsed by the ecm and use a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail.there is no return line.as long as rail pressure is at factory specs car will run fine.i would probably tee the pressure regulator into line very close to engine and return fuel to tank.a 75 or 76 tank works well and has a 7/16 out hose for fuel pump.

Thanks Z-ya & Randy 77zt.

From what you are saying it appears that I'm in good shape with my '77 280Z FI gas tank since it is equipped with baffles and supply & return lines. Please correct me if I'm making an incorrect assumption here.

I posted over on LS1tech.com and got a little information but everyone seems to diverge from my original question which is - Can anyone recommend a good external pump that will provide the flow & pressure the LS-1 will need - as quietly as possible?

Thanks to all.

Guest Anonymous

phantom, you should check out the fuel pump off of the ford ranger. I believe these pumps are good up to 100 psi. I see these trucks at pick n pull all the time, and its what im using on my 240z ls1 car.