HybridZ

LT1/surge tank location

zgeezer

I'm putting a complete FI Lt1 with auto into my 71 Z. The plan is to run stock as much as possible, including meeting all CA smog if put to the test. [i know '71 d/n have to submit to smog examination/test to register, but I want to be able to pass CA sniffer test if necessay.] All the vapor canister/fuel tank lines will stay intact....not cuts in tank to install a sump or in tank fuel pump. The plan is to run stock lines into a surge tank located in engine compartment or somewhere under the hood. I've considered fabricating a wierd shape to fit under the battery tray and then to use a smaller sealed battery. Any one mount one inside a passenger wheel well? Those of you who used surge tanks, give me a little direction as to location.

gw

Guest Anonymous

Mine is behind the rt rear fender well. Not much room there but it is close the original tank and made routing the fuel lines and pump placement easier for me. I would not put one in a fender well. Line might get cut from road debris. Mark

My surge tank is mounted above the stock 280z efi pump location in my 240. That's in the passenger side rear suspension area above the control arm and forward of the half-shaft. It's an aluminum box which holds a litre of fuel. I have a carb pump at the tank which sucks from the stock p/u and drops it into the top of the surge tank 3/8 line. The efi pump mounted below the surge tank sucks through a 1/2" line and goes to the engine. The return line from the engine goes into the top of the surge tank and the tank return comes out of the top of the surge tank and runs into the drivers side tank vent of the gas tank. I've had no problems with this set-up and the efi pump runs quiet as it has a head of pressure on the inlet. The only problem I can see is in hot climates you may have a problem with fuel getting hot in the surge tank from being looped around the engine and back to the surge tank - But all vapour returns to the tank via the tank return. That's my (rather long) $.02.

Cheers - Doug