HybridZ

Programming own computer?

Mudge

Does anyone here have thier own programming software for Nissan ECU/PCMs? I would like to hunt this down if possible for some of the later model EFI computers, EPROM or EEPROM but don't know where to locate. Have only used GM related software before.

On that note, does anyone have Desktop Dyno or Engine Analyzer files for any Datsun 6s?

Thanks!

The Z31 ecu uses a clone of a Motorolla MC6802 which is an 8 bit processor. There are PC emulators out there for this processor, but I don't know if anyone out of Jim Wolf Tech, and Nissan them selves know how the code works. There's someone on this list, sorry I'm bad with names, that was able to get the machine code out of the processor and convert it to assembly.

I have some experience with Motorolla's HC11 family of 8 bit processors which was built off of the MC6800 family, but I haven't gotten into the details of the MC6800, so I can't tell you if you could simply change some constants set in the chip's EEPROM, or if you'd have to put in a new EPROM with modified values.

Anyways, since the technical knowlege on these systems are not as widely spread as the GM ecu's you'd have to do quite a bit of work yourself to change anything. I'd love to have a few of us get together on the side so we don't clutter up the thread and figure these things out.

I am not on the DIY EFI lists or anything like that, but those guys are the 'pcm hackers' out there. Some of them coming up with thier own commercial products down the line.

So is pretty much everyone using tricks here and there (lying to the MAF etc), and aftermarket $$$ setups? Thats one thing I wanted to totally avoid with my last engine, a real budget setup. Once you want that extra 10% power it starts getting very expensive when working outside of the range of the stock computer, and I wanted to stick with it and its limitations which were fine for me.

So this sounds like a big 'shucks darn' :(

Since Motorolla stuff is so common, and a good handfull (heh) of people know how to work with them, I am assuming the only stumbling block is learning which memory address' do what, make good guesses at what hex values are equal to how much change in said field (RPM, etc).

Unless the interface is going to be that much different from what people know how to work with...?

Tony, I'm the guy with the code out an 86 turbo ecu. I've learned quite a lot about the code in the ecu in the last few weeks. I'd be happy to help with hacking the code. I'm setting up a test board with all the sensors simulated for testing the code. Email me anytime. Anyone willing to help out is welcome to email me as well.

Bernard

Would be cool to see how the sensors, and inputs get put into the processor, and I'd love to be doing the same thing as you. I'll try to finish up this piggy back thing and then give you a hand, and we can start a little message board on it or something.