HybridZ

need to know a wire color on 87 Pathfinder

GrayZee

Hey guys, I bought a remote starter for my Pathfinder and it's all ready to go except one thing. I have a Haynes manual for 80-88 Nissan trucks but they only have a decent wiring diagram for the 86 and older models. What I need to know is this.. What color is the the wire (right at the computer) that I can get a tachometer reading from? I had one guy tell me that the wire was white but there are two white wires at the computer (I believe it was pin 3 and 5?) Can someone help me out? I really don't wanna screw up my computer (and remote starter unit) by hooking up the wrong wire!

According to my FSM for an 89 P/F, Pin 5 of the ECU is the signal out of the ECU that triggers the coil's power transistor. Pin 3 is the the output of that transistor back to the ECU through a resistor.

Pin 5 of the ECU appears to be the same wire that goes to the tachometer.

Pin 5 would be the safest place to tap off a tach signal.

Good luck with that remote starter. I installed one on my wifes explorer a couple years ago, and it was the biggest pain in tha a$$. I bought one for my truck at the same time and have yet to install it. Hers was just the starter only, and that was bad enough. Mine has the electric locks, and with the trouble I had installing hers, I`m seriously not looking foward to putting mine in twak.gif . the biggest hassle was finding the wires while twisted around under the dash.

I suppose it would be easier if my hands were the size of a 10yr old girls rolleyesg.gif .

Thanks for the info Rick! Pin #5 did the trick, I found the install rather easy actually. (as long as I have a good wiring diagram) The hard part was buying the unit in the first place. When the salesman found out that I wanted one for a manual tranny vehicle he wouldn't even sell it to me! Normally I wouldn't consider it for a stick but it just so happens that my pathfinder 5spd trans has a NEUTRAL SWITCH! Why? it's a emission control device. I figured that by using the neutral switch as a safety lockout that it would solve the problem of a accidental startup in gear! nono.gif Well the saleman assumed that I was crazy and didn't know jack about cars. (maybe it was the other way around? rolleyesg.gif ) I ended up buying it at a different store and it works just fine. :D

Well the saleman assumed that I was crazy and didn't know jack about cars.

Have you ever seen a remote started vehicle hit someone, or climb a 3' high concrete wall? I have, so maybe your second sales man was the person who didnt know jack.

I mean no offense, but dissing on someone who is refusing a sale for a justifiable reason (because it is not safe) is unfair.

I have installed several remote starts btw..

Evan

I understand the safety concerns and I wouldn't have even bothered to try and put a remote in a standard vehicle except that I KNEW that with a neutral switch in the trans it would be possible to install one SAFELY. but When I told him about the fact that my truck had a neutral switch didn't matter. (because it went in one ear and out the other) I was willing to show him the service manual that shows how the neutral switch works and allow them to install it for me but he didn't want to have anything to do with it. Instead he gave me attitude. As if what I was suggesting was impossible. (just like putting a V8 in a Z is impossible right?)