HybridZ

Buick/Olds 215 V8

Guest gbvol54

Guest gbvol54

Grumpy's list of engine weights got me thinking once again of a Buick/Olds 215 V8 swap into a MG Midget. Of course, gotta finish the Z first and at my current pace may not be around long enough for another swap.........

Just in case, anyone out there have any experience with this itty bitty V8? Sure is light. I would expect low hp and torque numbers but am wondering if it had any performance potential? Could you squeeze a couple hundred hp out of it?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, its been discussed alot of times, try 215 or buick aluminum V8 or something, you'll find lots in the search function. One of our Mates in Australia (or is it New Zealand, no flames guys I just can't recall) has a real nice 215 in a Z down there. I'm sorry I can't recall the name or link, if I was on my other computer I'd pull it up for you. Anyone know who I'm talking about? Nice guy, I've written to him before.

It can get quite alot of HP (if you have guys with dune buggies and sand rail nearby ask them, that engine used to be quite a favorite for sand rails..), but it will require definite machine work to build a hi perf 215 because many of the parts are out of other engines (one of the guys on the net was using like Volvo rocker arms or some stuff like that). The 300 buick heads are a popular head upgrade, the aluminum version of these heads are real rare though, only made them for a year or two before going to cast iron. Even the cast iron 300 heads aren't exactly falling out of tree's these days.

They're output was decent, the turbo version of it (which was a failure because of design and peoples inabilty to do proper turbo maintenance.) put out 215 hp. Edelbrock makes manifolds for it, crane, crower and others have cams for it. Larger displacement engines of nearly 5.0 litre fuel injected ROVER V8's (who bought it from GM and refused to sell it back.. haha... ) are readable available but are pricey. Its a nice like little V8, probably make a very balanced driver.

Regards,

Lone

The swap may be much more difficult in a Midget than a regular MG or MGB. How to Give Your MGB V8 Power in the SpeedPro Series is a great book that is extremely well documented and I bought it with the intention of doing the MG swap. However, after pricing the swap and looking at its potential, I decided on the Z. Look up the book and read it first--you'll be glad you did. Oh that the JTR manual were as well documented!!

Davy

Guest Russ240z

A buddy of mine has one of these with the aluminum heads sitting in his barn. The car is a total wreck (rust, rats, broken glass etc...) But the drive train ran when he parked it 4 years ago. I'm starting to get that "good deal feeling!" What's a fair price for this motor and what is the most HP I could expect without spending major bucks?

Guest Russ240z

Stop, think, engage search engine. bonk.gif

I just found the answer to most of my questions in an earlier thread.

If any one has updated info, please share. smile.gif

Thanks.

If you want the 215 find the rover 3500 from the 80s or even better the 3900/4300/4400 The oilsystem is upgraded compared to the buick. The old buick engines most have a lot of corrosion because they are old and made of aluminium. The 300 hp twr griffith has the same bore and stroke as a buick 300. The alu headed 300 was only built in 64 and probably only the 250 hp version. These heads was cracked 15 years ago. The 3900/4300 block has much better main caps so they can take high rpm.

I swapped one of the early Buick versions into a 73 vega GT and a MGB. That was a long time ago. With the 300ci iron head, you can get a decent power boost, but IMO, not enough to justify the lighter weight of the engine. The turbo version is not worth pursuing as it was a crude (by today's standard) setup with very low boost and if I recall, a 1-bbl carb. Yes, we can talk about the sweet British and Aussie versions, but the reality is that they are rare here and expensive. Try finding a Range Rover or TVR in a junkyard, then fainting after you hear the price of this "exotic import" engine :D .

Not trying to talk you out of it, just expressing my thoughts. Yes, it is substantial lighter, but keep in mind that with an extreme setback placing the engine behind the front wheels, that weight gain becomes less critical. Also keep in mind that the rule of thumb is that 10lbs = 1hp and on the street, TORQUE RULES. It is easier and a lot cheaper to add 25hp to another engine. A stock L28ET with an I/C and exhaust will outperform the 215ci even after you have injected a lot of cash into it.

If you still want to do it and pursue one of the import versions, be aware that some of them came with funky SU carbs.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Douglas, thats the gentleman I was refering too, I was thinking about the swap and he was kind enough to share info with me. Nice guy.

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by ZROSSA:

Go here http://members.ozemail.com.au/~zedskid/

Mark has the leyland version. Takes it out to 4.4lts i think. The basics of these block formed the repco f1 engines in the 60's. 400 hp out of 3.0 lts enough for you? :D

Douglas

Jens,

This was the repco-brabham f1 engine that Jack brabham won the world chapionship in. The cosworth pretty much made it redundant. It was based on the rover block but had overhead cams and in its final evolution had 4v per cylinder but it was never reliable in this form.

The engine you were talking about was in the mg metro 6r4 or something like that, right?

Cheers

Douglas