HybridZ

another carb problem

labrat

well, I think this is a carb problem anyway... The car sat around for a few years, then my buddy bought it last weekend. It is a 72 240 with a 327/th350 combo that tubbed and narrowed with a for 9 inch and 4 link in the back. Problem is, he just rebuilt the Holley carb, and now it does strange stuff (well, still does strange stuff...). In park or neutral, the motor screams. Revs to 5k and back smooth as silk. WOT sounds great with no hesitation or bog at all. When you put it in drive, however, it starts running like crap. Bogs completely at anything over 1/4 throttle, and backfires out the exhaust. I'm in austin and he's in dallas, and i

m trying to give him tech support over the phone. Is this more likely a timing issue or carb? I'm thinking retarded timing, can the timing chain cause this? he says he's tried timing it, i really don't know though. Just looking for some places to look! Thanks guys!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the perversity of the inanimate! I'd double check the powervalve, for starters. Make sure the one he picked is two numbers below engine vacuum in drive. looking at the face of the PV with the letter on the left, the #s on the right top, then bottom will be the vacuum rating. If its blown all together you get a dead rich condition that will kill an engine under load at low rpm. Also since its just "rebuilt" check for gasket mismatch. Good luck!

JS

Ditto on what John said. FWIW, you might want to find out what kit he used to rebuild the carb. Holley kits are the ONLY ones I would use; they are no more expensive than anything else, they have the correct parts, and they are readily available at Kragen/Shucks, etc.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, tore down the motor this weekend and resolved the dilemma. Cam had no bumps. Ok, well, about half as many as it should. Few of the exhaust valve lobes had any lift to speak of, and a couple of the intakes as well. Midnight run to autozone for a wolverine/blue racer with lifters and lube, and 5 hours of swearing later my friend has one bad-ass 72 240Z! Took it up and down the street his neighborhood, and left paralell 14" wide rubber streaks for 50 ft.! All we have to do now is get the vacuum secondaries working...

Bill