HybridZ

how hard is it to tune dual webber carbs on a 280z motor

Guest 2002sentraSER

Guest 2002sentraSER

i have herd some horror stories about webber carbs but i have also herd that if they are tuned right that they can perform as good if not better than fuel injected cars truth or lie please advise

Guest Anonymous

I agree with evan. I have a set of dual webs (dvg's) and have never been able to tune them right. I even bought a weber book. Its a '73 so I'd take em over the stock carbs, but I'd still take a pair of Ztherapy SU's hands down.. and the triple webers or mukini/solex's are just gorgeous. The only thing is, why spend $800 on triples when you could probably get an entire mustang or camaro drivetrain ;)

I still say cheers to guys like norm (SU guy) who can squeeze 12's out of an L28.

I will probably be selling the dvg's, along with the e88 head- which could quite possibly have an agressive cam with it. The motor had some performance work done to it in san jose (via "racing engine" stamped onto the head by the shop) I dunno if it was just the dvg's or what. I need money for the turbo though and I don't want to keep L24 motor anyway. So if anybody's looking for a pair of duals, give me an email. They are in prime shape, can't say how many miles on em, they also have k&n filters. Well good luck

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure I'd go that far, injected cars are always superior in fuel distribution and the mixture is much closer to ideal than a carb can ever get.

That said, Webers are like other carbs, tuned well, they work really good, its not hard, but you have to syncronize them so they open the same on each carb and then do plug readings or colortune or 02 sensor (the more accurate method IMHO) to tune the carbs to the correct mixture through all circuits of operation.

I'd look on the internet for more details on webers and I'm sure a few pro's here will jump in and give they're .0? . :D

Regards and good luck,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Well actually, I'd probably trade them for a GOOD set of early/ztherapy SU's or triple webers/mukini's. If it had everything from linkage to intake. I'd probably take $175 obo for them (&everything physically attached to carb). I hate to do it because that means there's no chance of making the 240 run until I do the chebby swap.. ie long long time away :(

I really need money for the turbo swap, ouch that would only cover the fuel pump and braided lines.

Anybody have a spare working 280 tach I could buy from them? Mine on the 240 doesn't work, I figured I'd swap tachs.

I was gonna dismount them and clean them up (internally they've already gone through a can of carb cleaner, they run great) and put em on ebay. I'd be glad to send em off to a fellow hybrider. I think I also have a fuel pressure problem, probably a leak. The thing ran rich like mad still, ironically.

-980mak rockon.gif