HybridZ

Fuel Tank Explanation

Guest thinkmonkey

Guest thinkmonkey

I am a little confused when it comes to the operation of the fuel tank, though the concept is simple. Why does the tank have all of the vent lines (not the evaporative emissions stuff) going to the front of the car and terminating in the engine compartment? I want to install a fuel cell, so what kind of vent lines will I need. I am confused. Has anyone done a writeup on their fuel cell installation?

-David

On my CA edition 240 the gas tank vents go into the intake manifold when the engine is running or vent into the crankcase when the engine is off (there is actually a diverter valve). This is all emissions stuff. I think on the newer cars they use a charcoal canister then connect the canister to the intake when running.

What I would like to know is why does my 1970 gas tank need 4 or 5 vents connected in different spots throughout the tank? Or at least it seemed that way when I had to buy all those expensive hoses to get rid of the gas smell.