HybridZ

F.I. to S.U.

Guest alphaz

Guest alphaz

I changed my F.I. set in my 77 280z to a set of 72's S.U. carbs. But ran into a problem I can't figure out where all the hoses go. Can anyone help me out?

Guest alphaz

vaccum and coolant, I figured out the fuel. When I got the carbs it came without any hoses. Lots of holes and nipples but I don't know how to connect them. I just got the chilton and Haynes, but I ma still a little confused.

OK, first, you are going to have o get a fuel pressure regulator to regulate the pressure to about 3.5 psi for the carbs. Since your car was FI, it has way to much fuel pressure. If you can find a stock fuel rail for a 240, that would help. You can enlarge the hole out of the small line and run a return line back to the pump, which is what I did, although I have some sort of haneously loud holley red pump. You already have a return line.

I think it is obvious where the fuel inlet lines are on the carbs. There is a vent on top of each fuel bowl, and you should leave that unplugged.

On the front carb there should be a small nipple for the Vacuum advance. I would not worry about connecting water lines to the carbs/intake manifold, and would just cap off the ones you have.

As for your other vacuum lines, I am sure you are going to have a bunch there, and I can't really help you with that without having the car with me.

As for tuning the carbs. That is tough. I would recommend the Z therapy video, that makes things clearer. Essentially, underneath the carbs, there is a knob that turns in and out. Turn it all the way in, and then turn it 2.5 turns out. You should be able to start the car there. Once the car has completely warmed up, you need to make sure the carbs are in sync. You can do this with a length of rubber hose and listen to each carb throat, and make the necessary adjustments to the idle speed screwes.

Once you have the carbs sync'd up, then adjust the knobs on the bottom of the carbs slowly, one carb at a time until you hear the highest idle speed and stop and go to the next one.

That is the quick and dirty method. Get the video and you can do the thorough method.