HybridZ

please help: warming up, choke adjustment

260ZRED

guys, how can i make my 2 S.U.s be more warm up friendly?? once the car warms up (have to push on the gas pedal every once in a while or it dies), it runs very strong, but warming up, its a real *****! i just finished turning my carbs, and they're synced... any suggestions/ideas on how to improve the warm up proccess, or at least make it so the car doesnt die without hitting the gas pedal every 10 seconds????

Do you use the chokes? If not, do. Makes a big difference. Also, reconnect the stock water lines to the carbs if you have not. They speed up the warmup process and reduce the chance of carb icing. (Although I can't say that I have ever heard of that with SUs, they have big venturis compared to displacment.)

yes, of course i use the chokes, i dont think i have any water passages tho. i fixed the problem the half assed way - raised my idle to about 1600 but its not a good fix at all and the noise is annoying. Anybody got any ideas on whats wrong? is there a way to change the choke settings or how it affects the carbs?

Yes, you can adjust the chokes. These are round top carbs, right? Undo the choke cable where it attaches to the lever on the carb. Watch what happens as you pull up on the carb lever. First, the fuel jet gets pulled down (richens fuel mixture). When you get to the last part of the lever travel, it pushes on another lever that cracks open the throttle butterfly a bit. You want to adjust each carb so that you get the full range of choke lever travel by pulling on the lever on the console. All I have ever had to do was loosen the cable, with the jet all the way up into the carb body, remove any slack from the lever and tighten it back up. Make sure both jet tubes get pulled out the same distance when you pull the choke lever. I think you can bend the little bar on the side of the carbs to adjust. Get the ZTherapy video if you don't have it already.

Hope that was clear.

Damian