HybridZ

New problem.. TS flasher unit?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Zedders,

I appreciate the help with the filler plug :rolleyes:

but now that its off I have to fix my turn signals tongue.gif

Well.. about a month ago I swapped tailights with an 81+ model ZX. I still don't have brackets to fit them but so far my stock ones and tape have worked just fine until I can get some cheaps ones bonk.gif

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I noticed my left rear blinker went out, the indicator was flashing fast and the bulb wasn't flashing at all- so I changed the bulbs. Now they worked, however, about a week ago, I noticed my indicators would blink about 3 times, then go off.. so did the signals. I was a bit confused since I had put in all new bulbs and the wiring tight as a whistle. Now the signals don't work whatsoever, and I feel that my luck is running out, I'll either get stuck in traffic and have to change lanes and get hit, or a cop will just pull me over for not signalling. Either way, I need my signals back. Now, when I took out the flasher unit (big combo unit under the dash near steering column) for inspection, it seemed dusty and the connection was real loose. So I cleaned it off with a rag, and put it back in real tight. Still no signals. When I have the accessories on, but not the car running (I can't hear anything but exhause when its running) when I move the signal column up and down I can hear a little 'click' 'click' inside the flasher unit, but I get no lit up indicator, not even once, so its like its dead. The only thing I can think of is that the unit needs to be replaced. I wrote an email to courtesy nissan parts, and they hopefully can get a quote for me.. being 23 years old its probably a kind of rare part..

has anyone had the same problem and found it to be something else?

I checked the taillight connections, bulbs again, and pretty much everythign else. The hazards flash just fine, just not the signals. I really appreciate the help, and also where I can get a new unit, relatively cheap if possible. I was thinking of just finding a wrecked 280zx but the closest pulling yard is like 60 miles away, and who knows what a yard would charge me for it, or if it would be the correct unit for my ZX.

-980mak

I bieleve the hazards, and TS flashers use two different flasher units, that's why your hazards work. I would go to your local auto parts place and buy a universal flasher. All flashers mount the same way. The TS flasher is the one you found under the column

Guest Anonymous

Mike-

yeah I noticed the hazards had a seperate (smaller) unit...

I didn't know hte units were universal, perhaps I'll go down to a local electrician store and see if they can "hook me up." Otherwise, Courtesy quoted me $25.01, which isn't a bad deal, to have turn signals again :rolleyes:bonk.gif

I'm trying to work out some of the other loopholes including why my dome light doesn't work. I'll have to test some wiring and blow up those haynes charts really big so that I can find where the problem is. Thanks for your help

-980mak

Guest bang847

why not switch your hazards and turn signals units to test it? when i got my painless kit they were the same. anyways i think i still got my original stuff you you want it..

Guest bang847

o i forgot... i think the old Z's also have a noise unit.. that might have caused your problem? but he generic stuff from you local parts store should definetly work too... go for the extra loud ones if you buy the generic stuff

Guest Anonymous

After getting the new part, I plopped it in and it still didn't work :mad:

Is there a trouble shorting area for turn signals or something? I figure if its not the signal unit, bulbs, its gotta be the wires.. URGH!!!

maybe I'll just take it into an electrical place. I can take apart/reassemble a motor but can't fix turn signals... twak.gif

So besides using the haynes electrical diagrams and trying to trace everything through, is there anything else I should be looking for?

-980mak

Guest Anonymous

Mike et al,

I got back in there yesterday, and after removing carpet and covers I noticed there was TONS of water filling up in the spare tire well eek2.gifmalebitchslap.gif

good thing I got it when I did. Morale: NEVER USE SHODDY TAILLIGHT GASKETS! ESPECIALLY IN THE RAINY NORTHWEST!!!

that could have been a huge problem. Even a few wires were soaked :rolleyes:

I cleaned everthing up, swapped my OLD taillights back in there.. I kinda like em now.

Now signals work, there's a good seal and I can stop getting rained on because I have my window down to stick my arm out of it bonk.gif

HURRAY!

-980mak