HybridZ

no power for about 10 minutes

Hiya,

Yesterday I had an odd problem happen out of the blue and hoped someone might have some insight. I was driving our 250 GTO replica for about 20 minutes on the highway at 4000 rpm in top gear. Oil pressure, temp, volts, all was fine. When I took an exit and got to the first stop (tollbooth) the idle was a little rough, I checked the gauges, nothing seemed amiss so put it in gear and tried to pull away - I had to ride the clutch and over rev to get it to the side of the road. I pulled over to the side as much as possible and the idle seemed a little shakey still so I popped the hood to check everything out. No fuel leaks, no wires off injectors (it has a 77 nissan fuel injection system) Two weeks ago I replaced the plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Nothing seemed amiss and I got back in and yet it was still having trouble - the idle smoothed out however off idle it fell on its' face. zero power. The gauauges all indicated fine so I though I'd nurse it to a safer spot as there was no shoulder to pull off to (and it wasn't really a safe place). I drove it about 10 minutes and after that it seemed fine. Today it runs as fine as it ever has. The fuel tank was about 1/4 full. My initial guess says it's fuel related however I though about spark as well. The road was smoothe however coming into the offramp at speed and stopping as fast as I did certainly could have shook up a lot in the tank. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx in advance,

Chelle

Guest Anonymous

These old Z's get a little choked up in the fuel lines setting around.Your symptons are similar to mine. The fuel tank gets all the air sucked out of it with no air coming in and the fuel pump cannot pump only very little fuel out until more air is allowed to enter the fuel tank .Clean the fuel lines, or repalce them, or vent the fuel cap or do as I did take off the cap while running it. I do not drive the old zee that much in a month's time.

Hmm, thanx... I'll have to take a look at the rest of the lines - perhaps flush them out tomorrow. I've been wanting to replace all with new hardline anyway but was hoping that could wait till the engine swap happens. My projects are all kind of staggered to allow me to finish as much as I can and still have something to drive. Thanx for the insight though, I'd imagine there was a bit of negative pressure in the tank after that long at that high of RPM.. The car uses a big racing cap that flips open and it is not vented. Not sure how I could vent it either..

looks like I have a busy day

Chelle