HybridZ

turbo zx engine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

there is a little miss in my engine in idle what could it be? and when i start cold there is some black stuff mixed with what seems to be steam come out and then it runs fine but the little miss is consistent

thanks people.

ps i have about 110000k on the engine.

WOW that's a lot of miles!! Maybe you didn't mean to put that 'k' at the end there bonk.gif

Sounds like it might be running a little rich. This could be caused by the AFM spring loosening up over time. I'm not sure if having the head temp sensor unplugged would allow you to drive your car very well, but I guess there is a possibility of it not getting a good connection.

I'd just take off the AFM black plastic cover (usually need a knife to break the seal), then loosen up the nut that holds the tention gear in place while holding the gear with your other hand so it doesn't wheel free, then give it a 1/8 to a 1/4 turn clock wise and see if that makes the car run better.

I may be wrong, there are lots of other possibilities, like the smoke could be from warn valve guides that are hard until the car heats up. And then the ruff idle could be from something else, like just from being warn, stuffed up exhaust, stuffed up air filter, or fuel filter, or timing being off. The air temp sensor in the AFM could be off, or the o2 sensor could use a replacing. Just tons of things to consider. A fresh 3 way valve job on a high mileage engine can really make a difference.

If you have to smog your car, did it pass last time without a problem? When was the last time you had it smogged? If you don't have to smog your car then maybe you should have a mechanic with one of those O2 sniffers adjust things properly for you. An Air/Fuel Ratio gauge can help you set your own car up, if your O2 sensor is in good shape. I just replaced the OEM O2 sensor in my car with a Bosch brand and this new one is much more touchy, and better at giving a reading. I like it a lot. Cost $35 with taxes at AutoZone.

The car would not run very well at all if the head temp sensor was disconnected. That is one of the things JWT address's when they reprogram the older ECU's.

One thing I would recommend is that you buy a can of brake clean at Autozone or where ever, and disconnect the harness from the ecu and spray down both the harness connectors and the ecu pins. Then I would disconnect the head temp sensor, AFM and the IAC and spray boht the pins and the connectors and reconnect. After time passes, sometimes the connections get dirty and cleaning helps alot. I bet you money an ecu or AFM has been replaced simply because of dirty connections.

On other thing, you IAC may be stuck slightly open or it may never open, and that could cause your richness at startup, as could a defective head temp sensor, although I am not sure I have ever run across a bad one. If you had a voltmeter, you could get the specs and check the resistance.

I would do all of that before getting into the AFM. If and when you decide to go into the AFM, take a sharpie and mark where it is, so you don't lose your spot. It is hard to hang onto that stuff sometimes. You may also want to skeet a little brake clean on the contacts inside the AFM too. I played with mine and never found it made much of a difference, although with bigger injectors it would.

The absolute best advice would be to be systematic and scientific in your approach. Haphazzardly adjusting a bunch of stuff is likely to make your car worse, not better. Start with basic stuff like new plugs, cap, rotor, spark plug wires, timing etc, and progress to more advanced items if you need too. I would also recommend you change your fuel filter, and while you are at it, there is one in the inlet of the stock fuel pump that could have crud in it too. Check your vaccuum lines for cracks too.

I also recommend running a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner thru it, the kind in the black bottle. Be aware that injector cleaner lowers your octane, so if you are boosting a lot, be careful.

Good luck and let us know what you find.