HybridZ

Battery Drain after one day! Help!

Hey guys, I've had this problem with my 83zxt for a while now and it has only gotten worse and worse. It used to only drain the battery when I parked it for longer than five days, now if I don't start it each day the battery will be dead. I have a Die Hard gold in it and I've recently had it checked and everything is great (even after countless drains and jumping). The alternator is ok as well...I think the culprit lies within the interior light (courtesy light) dimmer switch. Before the electrical stuff started acting up, my interior lights and key hole light would come on when you opened or pulled on the door handle. Then it would slowly dim off when you shut the door. It doesn't do this anymore. The only light that works is the two bottom lights that's on the door itself. This would come on when you open the door so I know it can't be the door switches. You can also turn the overhead light on when you put it on the ON position but won't turn on when you open the door. I've checked to see if there is power going to the dome light and kick panel light...they all have juice. Checked all the connections to no avail.......Soooo...my friend and I connected a light tester to the battery and went through each fuse to see which one will make the light turn off. When I got to the fuse for the interior light, the bulb light turned off...which would mean I have a short of some sort within the interior lights. My question is, does anyone know where I could find the illusive "dimmer switch" on my Z? If you're Z doens't have this, it's a switch that dimms the lights as they shut off. They have been described as a "black box" that resides in the passenger kick panel. But I still can't find it...is it next to the blower fan? Behind the wire harness?...I don't know what I'm looking for. I looked in the Haynes mannual but it has nothing on this. I have a feeling this is the cause of my lights not coming on and might also be contributing to draining my battery. Thanks for any help! hail.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest De Schmaydee

i'm having a hard time w/the same circuits youre talking about....the "timer" is behind/above the ecu.....this is a separate circuit......from what i hear its the timer that usually screws up....i gotta do something w/mine.....i havent actually found it yet but i kinda looked for it...it isnt quite where the fsm shows it..theres a test for it in the fsm......s

Guest De Schmaydee

yeah if you move the ecu (on the drivers side)there will be 1-2 boxes behind it...the top one is the room light timer the bottom one (if you have it ) is the door lock timer....email whe you get it out and i'll tell you how to test it...

schmaydee