HybridZ

smoking 280z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

The 280z i bought has a problem with smoking. I tried to get it on Nicotrol, but that didnt help. When i bought it i put gunk engine flush in with the old oil, let it idle for about an hour while periodically revving the motor. Then i changed the oil. Now, the car still smokes, and when i rev it to about 3500 rpms or over, white smoke starts coming out the exhaust. Any idea what this may be?

Steven

Guest Anonymous

An hour isnt THAT much, actually i was taking the advice of a mechanic friend of mine. Wasnt smoking this bad when i first got it, but everyday that passes i think the engine is history :mad:cuss.gifsour.gif

i think you left it in too long and messed up something really bad, youre only supposed to useit until the car gets warm, then immediately drain. i wont use flush at all, i will use cheap oil and drain it a couple times to flush a motor.

Check the oil and coolant - white is USUALLY coolant unless you have synthetic oil in there which supposedly burns whitish. If it were blue smoke I'd say bearings but at this point I'm not sure.

And yeah, an hour is a long time especially if it was revved. What did the can's directions say?

Guest Anonymous

My old 78 silver z had a minute head gasket leak for years with occasional sporadic white smoke.The engine ran fine if not better Only specks of coolant bubbles would show up in the crankcase from time to time. I just kept adding coolant.After the smoking escalated, :eek: I finally tore the head down and found a microscopic blow out in the head gasket. This insignificant leak caused some damage to the head and block over a 5 year period. I pulled the engine from the Tomahawk project which was a better L 6 motor and put it in the silver Z. It is easier to switch motors than replace a HEAD GASKET bonk.gif Some people will disagree but I run straight Dello 400 30 weight oil which lasts forever and has cut oil consumption in a lot of old motors. Multi weight oil has a lot of additives that tend to wear out fast and get blown out the tail pipe.