HybridZ

low idle???

Guest eric-z

Guest eric-z

hey guys

I've got a bone stock '81 280zx, I'm 16 and I am kinda new to auto repair but I want to learn and that is why I got the car(I also got it because its a Z :D ). I am not sure but I think my idle is too low. my car will run(rough) at about 500rpm at idle and the car has problems keeping electricity running through it until I put on the gas. thanks in advance, you guys are great.

eric

p.s. if it is too low how do I raise it?

Well I'll give this a shot. I'm not even going to pretend I know much about idle and timing issues but hopefully this is enough to get you out of the dark.

First thing I would do is get the shop manual for your car and at least the Chilton repair manual from your local auto parts.

You can adjust the idle by turning the idle speed screw. It is located close to the throtle position switch and it looks kind of like a "T" connected with clamps to other hoses and tubing. You should see the screw from top view.

Turn it counter clockwise to increase RPM. Adjust it to about 550 - 750 RPM. With a timing light adjust the ignition timing to 6 - 10 deegres BTDC and then adjust idle again to 600 - 800 RPM.

This should be done with the engine warm and the AC off. I believe the adjustment should also be done with the gray harnes to the distributor disconected.

These are fairly simple adjustments that should be done correctly. What I mean is, don't just go adjusting the idle screw and then leave it like that. It may sound and look right but the timing might be off, robbing you off HP and/ro gas mileage.

Good luck

but thanks Z_dust, I checked out the haynes manual for my car from the library and its got every thing about changing the idle speed.

eric

now I just need to look in the troubleshooting section to see what you do for a car that hates its owner.