HybridZ

Ferrari 250 GTO replica for sale on Kitcars.com

SpeedRacer

If anybody is interested there is a Ferrari 250 GTO replica for sale over at Kitcars.com http://www.kitcars.com/Classifieds/AdDetails.asp?classified_id=842

Looks like it might be a Rhino (Blue Ray Engineering) with a Velo Rossa front end.

At least it's powered by a SBC.

There is also another one listed under "Unfinished Projects" http://www.kitcars.com/Classifieds/AdDetails.asp?classified_id=892

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Yes, its my GTO that is for sale on KitCars.com. I'm ready to move on to the next project, which will be a 240 Z convertible with a G-nose and another awesome small block chevy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The door pulls were early 70's Honda hatchback latches with a steel adapter made by Charles Puckett. I understand that McBurnie made this style latch for his cars also.

Guest Anonymous

On the door handles- I have the honda part no. somewhere-when I find it, I'll email it to you. I used fiberglass reinforced filler to build up the old door handle recesses and glassed over the area as a final "skin". They have worked great for 4 years now without any problems with the body work.

I would probably just grind the door skins flat in the handle area, then patch it from the back, then front. The metal door would be the hard part; to form a patch to fit over the handle recess, then cut out the recess & weld the patch over the hole.

The only think I'm not sure about is what kind of gap there is between metal door and glass skin. This gap may be a problem the the new door handle doesn't reach in far enough.

I'll try and post a pic of the MG boot lock.

Guest Anonymous

The fiberglass skin is fairly tight to the metal door around the door handle area. I found that the fiberglass gel with glass fibers is a fairly good filler if covered with a layer or two of fiberglas cloth. There ia a good gap in the mid door section on the Vello Rossa that I filled in the outside edges with the gel & fiber then covered with a layer of cloth. I will sand blast the Datsun door handles and paint them the same color as the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by TMax:

The door pulls ....

McBurnie made this style latch for his cars also.

Got an email from Mr. McBurnie that said "We have push button door handles and adaptors @ $250.-"

I assume that price is per set. Should i get some now, or just get the adapters, or what? Maybe I can get the door pulls really cheap separately. I don't think it would do me much good to put them on the Z doors.

Guest Anonymous

Whoa! $250.00 a set...I hope there is benefit in adequete foreplay and lubrication on that proposition. The adapter could be no more than a simple rod and swivel plate to push activate the door latch. Get some good pictures and I can make them.

Guest Anonymous

Tom...the Honda hatch back push button one finger door pull I have has an angled trim ring below the push button that is easily removable but will require that the ring will have to be turned on a lathe or milled flat to properly fit the GTO door skin. Also there is a good chance the slot for the retaining ring to hold the door pull to the door will have to be re-slotted closer to the push button to properly secure it tightly to the door. The push button when pressed extends a 1/4 inch rod out the other end about 3/8 inch. The Datsun Door handle pulls up and pushs down a rod to activate the door latch. Now what you have to do is to get something that shoves straight out in a horizontal fashion to pull up and down in a vertical manner.On the other hand the Honda hatch pull should be a piece of cake on the Datsun hatch after the trim ring is flat.

TomoHawk-

I sent you some pics of my MG trunk (boot) latch. It has a flat bottom and flats on the sides to key it into the hole. Sounds like it should work perfectly. Barrel pushes in about 1/2 inch.

BTW (changing the subject,) I just finished making some plywood pieces to replaces the ones under the hach on the sides of the door over the (mini) spare. I took the tire out and put a piece of angle ove the area so I can put a full-size spare in the back (like real GTOs have.) Had to fill in the sides with the plywood pieces that have basically the same shap as the stock ones, but stick in farther and have a round cutout to fit the tire. I plan on carpeting the area later, with a round, sunken 'tub' to fit the tire.

I Also re-did the deck behind the seats so it hinges. You can make use of the tubs behind the seats or just hide stuff under the tilting deck. I just reversed the supports under that deckpiece and screwed strap hinges to the supports & deck after trimming it to fit the larger spare tire. It needed more trimming when I found that there was contact when lifted. I re-used the edge moulding at the front of the deckpiece by attaching it with 3/8 inch blind-nuts and screws. Also put rubber bumpers under the screws to prevent noises/scratches.

Guest Anonymous

I prefer the looks of your MG pull to the Honda. Actually the Datsun door latch opens by downward pressure. So an effective adapter could be a pivoted/hinged angle secured in an area to push down the rod to the door latch and a spring connected to the angle to raise the rod back up after the thumb pressure is released on the push button door pull (?) Hey, I have a 350 SBC setting inside the engine bay of the Tomahawk. Now that is exciting!

All I have is the stock engine, but the odometer says 6970 miles! 106970 miles that is (swimmmin' pools, movie stars...)OOPs, wrong number. :D

I thought the same thing about the MG locks. You can easily replace the lock barrel to key all alike, too. Only problem i found out is that there are at least 2 types of door lock mechanisms; the one you describe, and the kind I got. Both use a kind of pushrod, tho.

Wow Chelle - are all those yours? Two Alpha 1 GTO's and - is that a 208/308 GT4 Dino ??? Impressive! :eek:

Do me a favor and post a reply in the "How many of you are building Ferrari 250 GTO kits?" thread as we are trying to keep track of all who are, or have built a Ferrari 250 GTO replica.

Thanks