HybridZ

Finally got engine and tranny!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, i finally got an engine and tranny rounded up...only one problem, the engine was supposed to be a 327, i looked up the #'s and found out it's a 307...is that a really bad thing? How much different are they? Can it be stroked or anything to be a 327? I'm not too disappointed though, what do you expect when you get it for $50.00? Actually $25.00, if you consider that i got the 700r4 for free! I got these both from a friend that has several engines and stuff, he thought it was a 327 also. Well, i just want to hear some opinions on the 307. Is is a hunk of junk? Worth messing with? Anything?

thanks in advance...jason

The 307 is certainly not a performance motor of choice, but for the money I think you did just fine. Unless you are really strapped for cash and the 307 is a complete motor, I would look for a 350 that someone is selling for cheap. The extra cubes will make a ton of difference in the Z, no question about it.

Cheers,

Davy

Unless I'm wrong (won't be the first time), If you are willing to buy pistons and have the block bored and the rotating assembly balanced, you can have your 327.

I doubt very seriously that GM made the block casting water passages larger for the 307 vs the 327/350 - they probably just bored the cylinders smaller. 3.88" bore vs. 4.00". smame stroke as the 327.

You could truly have a fresh 327! All it would take is money. Of course you'd probably want different heads, cam etc.

Guest Anonymous

If that 307 is a runner, install it and wait for a better deal which will come along and by that time you can have everything trial fitted and hooked up---- be patient and you will find something substantial than putting a lot of money in something that lacks potential without $$$$$$$$.You got a good deal on the transmission alone-----------wait for another engine to come along.

Guest Night_rider_383

Not meaning to bust any bubbles but the MAX over bore on all but 1 small block chevy is .060''. GM used a few diff style blocks 307 and 305 is almost the same block, 302, 327, and 350 is based on diff. style block, where the water jackets, cyl. wall, etc is diff. thicker etc. The only blocks i know of that can safty go past .060'' overbore are some of the early 60's 283 chevy II blocks. These was made on 327 tooling and what that means is that they used 327 blocks just bored to 3.875'' so the safe over bore on these blocks should be to 4.060 (.185'') to me that just seems unreal, so if i was gonna do that i wouldnt go no larger than .155''. For a mild street engine i see nothin wrong with the 307's but if your lookin for alot of power, good streetable use, pretty good mpg then the 307 aint what you need, cause the bore is way to small even at .060'' over.