HybridZ

How many of you are building Ferrari 250 GTO kits?

SpeedRacer

What kit are you building?

a) Alpha 1

B) McBurnie (Original)

c) Rhino (Blue Ray Engineering)

d) Stable Autoworks

e) Velo Rossa (VR Engineering)

f) Thunder Ranch (Latest McBurnie)

g) Puckett

h) Other

What stage are you in and do you have any photos to share? :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I have an unfinished Blue Ray GT Engineering (Rhino) 250 GTO kit which the manufacturer is now called Stable Auto Works. Nezzie 76 (Eugene, Oregon) has a running L6 Vello Rossa kit (coilovers) with a McBurnie front clip (pure crap from Thunder Ranch). He also has a V8 280 Z. We are presently reinforcing the chassis on his Vello Rossa roadster with integral rear strut bar/roll bar/inside frame rails.I also have an unfinished Tomahawk kit (coilovers, Toyota 4X4 brakes, V8) and the Origin convertible kit which I am fitting Jim Cook Racing full flair fenders to the rear fiberglass cap.

My plans are to build a Velo Rossa coupe, right now I'm doing the LT1/T56 upgrade along with brakes (rear disk) and suspension (coil overs). I'll be installing the Phantom Grip when I get around to the rear. By then hopefully someone will have bought VR Eng. and I can order the body kit :confused: Right now I'm finishing up the engine compartment (fill in holes, prime, paint).

I keep forgetting to take pictures of the progess, but I'll try to remember.

-VRJoe

Put me down for "e) Velo Rossa (VR Engineering)"

My VR kit is scheduled to show up at my door late next week. Like VRJoe, I've got my 355, T56 waiting to go in. I've got coilovers, 5-lug conversion, Outlaw brakes all sitting on the garage floor.

I'm hoping to get most of the way down the road on getting the sub-frame connectors in this week while the car is on the rotisserie. The fun never ends...

Guest Anonymous

Sentra.... If you are going to do a roadster like a Velo Rossa on the early Z chasiss some reinforcements are in order. Nezzie 76 and I just completed an inside reinforcement on his Velo Rossa ( loosely)copying the Origin convertible re-inforcement package which required a lot of fabrication and welding (labor intensive during the last 3 afternoons). The steel cost less than $50.00 which included a removable upper roll bar section for powdercoating or chrome plating purposes. The lower roll bar/strut tower support/floorboard rails are all integral to each other and permanently welded to the Z unibody.There is a convertible kit Eric Nyerlin sells that has an outside and underneath re-inforcement package that really looks strong and very well designed but would almost require a rotissire or some mechanisim to expose the underside of the unibody for welding purposes. (I cannot weld upside down).Rory Bateman (Tomahawk originator) claims the early Z was designed also to be a convertible and needs no re-inforcement. I would tend to agree but some real rough bump at speed may disprove the theory.I think it just looks good with a bunch of tubing and pipe welded inside a sports car.

I'm building a stable front, with vello rossa back half on a coupe. Full frame with a Jaguar drive train.(v-12, IRS)A 72 is the base for the car while the Jag stuff is 86. I ordered my six webers today. My project is on hold while I restore a 65 Mustang for a little mad money. Hope to have it painted by the end of the month. Need my baby back!!!!

I have a BlueRay/Rhino wating for me to finish fixing up the car with power steering and trans, shocks, etc. I wan't to do any modding with the old body on so I can drive it around until the chassis/drivetrain feel good & don't make crashing sounds. Then I will put it in the shop for the body, so it doesn't get damaged.

My project is a Velo Rossa Spyder. I have been working on the "guts" for now but I also have the rear fiberglass.

2001 LS-1/T-56 in the car, roof is off, car is gutted, fenders and hood are off, body reinforced, fenders wells enlarged, fuel, electronics and exhaust are in progress. Most of my post have been here: http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002465

Some photos: http://www.geocities.com/maichor75104/index.html

Guest Anonymous

I have a Rhino GT Kit that I purchased in 1993 and finished in 1998.

The car has a 350 with aluminum heads, fuel injection and a T-56 6 speed. The front end was converted into a one-piece tilt like a Velo Rossa by constructing a metal subframe for the cheek panels and glassing the hood into the front end. I put on the Ferrari style door handles (Honda hatchback latches) and recesses in the rear valence for exhaust tips. My web site for the car is here: web page

Guest Anonymous

I have an Alpha built on a 71 240Z, which I bought from its builder in San Diego (I am in Phoenix). It would be great to build a directory of all 250 GTO owners, so we can exchange info and compare notes and pictures. Is anyone interested? smile.gif

Guest sector

Businessguy,

There already is an organization that tracks and follows GTO replica owners.

Check out

www.gtorr.com

Hope this helps.

As for me I am doing a frame-up restoration on my '78 280, as I have gotten farther into it, I have decided to upgrade various parts (suspension, brakes, etc.) I am putting an '68 327 into it, and plan on getting a t-56 for a tranny. My only limiting factor is how much money the wife will let me spend every month.

Good luck everybody!!

Guest Anonymous

Brian:

Thanks for your reply about a GTO registry. I am familiar with the existing site you suggested. Unfortunately, that site was managed by the previous owner of VR engineering. Now that he has gone on to other endeavors and VR has ceased operations, the future of that registry site is very uncertain. In addition, the site always asked for registration information, but never made it available, so I would still like to see a directory of GTO owners and a summary description of their cars, so that we can communicate better.

Thanks.

Businesguy

Guest Anonymous

Teo and 280 Zone Here it is waiting for you to add your names to the list.About this GTO registry business.... This thread is the beginning of Hybrid Z's own "GTO Registry"......just keep adding to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok - so it took me awhile to see that green light while the stereo was on another channel smile.gif

I am building a VR on a '78 280Z. Pretty stock setup - freshening of the l28, changing from auto to 5 speed, will be lowering approx 2" but will wait until the body is mounted to figure proper height. I will be using 2.5" round taillights - lucas bullet style. No clue on the dash yet, but will be either custom or simpson style.

Current progress: the car is stripped (was lucky only 1 stripped bolt and I had the right tools for once - only took about 4 hours). Now it is ready to cut the top off. Planning on cutting and welding this weekend.

Note - The previous owner of VR is going to get me copies of the GTORR newsletters - there is a nice section on how to do the Honda door latches. I will post it when I get them.

I purchased the front Alpha portion of Brian Wheatons car after it had been hit.

http://www.kitcarz.com/bw-gallery.htm

Then I bought the rear Velo Rossa tub from VREngineering before they closed their doors. I have always been a fan of the Velo Rossa conversion and couldn't resist the opportunity to pick up the major pieces. I am still completing my 75 for daily driving but once that car is "done" the the Velo/Alpha conversion will begin.

Guest nezzie76

Whoa 280zone you are like me. Having a GTO front and velorossa rear presents the problem of what to call it. GTO or velorossa? I ususally just call mine the velorossa, though sometimes I call it the GTO. :confused: