HybridZ

is it possible to connect subframes?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i am planning to strip down the car and restore the body, and was considering welding in a rollbar and bars that run parallel to the rockers. i was wondering if you connect the rear of the car to the front will it have any effect on handling and rear suspension. if not is there a substitute for my plan?

thanks

do a search on Z convertibles and/or subframe connectors. There is a company on the west coast that makes a set of subframe connectors for their convertible package. I have alway liked the look of them, but have yet to get a low down from anyone who has bought them.

Then of course there are Pete P's infamous subframe connectors on his site.

And yes, a solid subframe connector is a good thing in terms of performance.

The one approach I haven't seen taken on this site is to pull off the rocker panels and run a supporting channel through there. It would then have to be connected into the transverse components in some way.

Also someone posted an article on a roll cage for ITS racing. It is very good (I can't find the link so try a search).

I plan to replace the inner rocker with 1x3 tubing. The inner rocker is more like 1.25" X 5", but I will use sheet metal to add the mating flanges for the outer rocker top and bottom, plus the floor pan mating area. Someone else put tubing in for the inner rocker, but I don't remember who. I am actually working on this area right now. The 1x3 will then tie into my frame at the front and back of the floor pan area using more 1x3. Then the roll cage will also connect into to this front and back. Should make for a strong setup, and only adds minimal weight. Maybe another 30-40lbs. My frame from the engine compartment to the back is also 1x3.