HybridZ

Converting From Muncie to T5...What can I still use?

Guest TBroZ

Guest TBroZ

...today was. I picked up the driveshaft from the driveline shop today, the last piece needed to theoretically...have the car roll. Let me remind you that I bought this car non-running with a non-usable trans like two months ago...what an accomplishment to actually drive the thing.

So I told the guy that the end of the trans casing lined up with the knuckle on the u-joint of the driveshaft...equating to about 2.5" For some reason the driveline shop guy thought that that was too much, and recommended 1.5". I said okay. The driveshaft is now exactly 1.0" too long.

And as for my no resistance problem with the clutch pedal...gone. I started pumping it and after about 20 pumps, major resistance...it feels exactly like it should now.

The wait is torturous...but it does look like she should be rolling tomorrow!!!

TK

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TBroZ

And today it again became an auto "mobile". She's rollin'. Yessir, but not very well. The R180 rear that's in there is shot! It took all my strength to turn the rear wheels (2" at a time), with the brake off, with the trans in neutral. While driving, there's a lot of resistance...she don't roll fer shreit when coasting.

I must say the trans feels great though. Shifts very nice with the Hurst shifter. The clutch fully engages with 3" left to the floor, so I do have to make a stop for the pedal.

I bot an R200 about three weeks ago...the guy keeps stalling on shipping. It's coming with the CV axles and mustashe bar.

Guest TBroZ

Well...no. I have not checked the rear brakes. I'll check out that scene. Dan, tell me more about the show...you may have mentioned it, but I...

If I make this mysterious show, you will find this vehicle currently non-impressive. It needs alot! Including a side view mirrow! Crazy, but last night I noticed that there isn't one...and no holes for one either...like there never was...is that possible? Don't see any bondo work.

TK

Guest TBroZ

Dan, you're good. That was it...stuck brake! I pulled the wheel, and sure enough the driver's side drum took a good pounding to get off. I pulled the pads, readjusted the cylinder, and voila - we got a free rotater.

But boy, this baby needs some work. Major shaking of the steering wheel(vibration doesn't describe it) at speeds over 45 mph. Of course all the tires are mixed/matched and shot. I'm sure there's a major flat spot on the tires from sitting for 11 years! I've also noticed clumking from the rear suspension over even small bumps...shot bushings to be sure.

BTW, call me an attendee at the Hybrid Z Show and Swap. Provided I address the shaking. 90 miles of it ain't gonna happen. The problem is I'd like to upgrade the rims (to larger), so I don't really want to fork the $ for new tires...and am not prepared to dump $1K+ on rims and tires at the moment.

Terry