HybridZ

Looking for some advice

Guest ProfessorRog

Guest ProfessorRog

I was wondering what some of you older guys would suggest if you were in my shoes

I'm 19 and still living at home so I have no real expenses. I've got a stripped down 280z that I'd really like to do an engine swap on but I don't think I have all the knowledge neccessary to do it as cheaply as possible. Although I'd really like to make this Z cherry I think I'm coming to the realization that I don't have the money for that (I've got about $3k to $4k).

Right now I'm leaning towards making this car somewhat of a daily driver (I ride my bicycle), but all I really wanna do is have the potential for some intense acceleration. I think I'm gonna end up buying a SBC crate engine or something pretty much turnkey and either a WC T5 transmission or 700R4 and then struggle my way through putting it together. I've already got the JTR manual and read through it a couple times and I have limited access to fabrication tools (welding class at community college.)

So my question to all you HybridZ gurus is what would you do if you were in my position; a car ready to build, some cash saved up, and limited knowledge (but willing to learn)?

I would recommend buying a donor car with a complete and operational drivetrain. maybe look for something that already has aready had a recent rebuild.

The local classified papers are a good place to look for these. You might be able to pick up the entire car for less than half of what a crate engine will cost, and you will also have alot of the little nickle and dime stuff that takes so much time and money to track down.

talk to the guys at your local parts stores to see if any of the local gearheads do wrenching on the side. Alot of these guys are more than happy to help out young kids with projects, and you can learn alot from them.

I personally like to help out the young kids in town in exchange for "Gopher"work around the shop.

Yeah. Ditto what Denny said. A complete swap has the best "cheapness" potential.

My situation is completely different than yours yet the end result is the same. I am 45 with a wife and two kids. Thus all of my expenses are doubled because whatever I spend on the Z gives the wife an excuse to spend the same amount on something she wants.

I have been watching ebay and LT1-T56 combos out of 94-97 Camaro's and Firebirds are starting to sell for just over $2000. These are complete pull outs from cars with generally under 80,000 miles and many times junk yard gaurantees. If you want to go automatic you can get them for anywhere from $500 to $1000 less. Can then offset some of the expense by selling off the air conditioning compressor and PS pump.

My plan is to do a complete engine-trans swap in the next year or two, drive the car as is for a few years, then, when I hit the lottery, pull it back out an do performance parts and top quality paint.

Guest ProfessorRog

Thanks for the responses,

I think that you guys are right, a donor vehicle is probably the best way to go for me. The only thing I need to worry about is balancing my money between the Z and getting started in motorcycling. Being single does have its privelages. :-D