HybridZ

Scratch built mufflers

Z-TARD

Guest spunkysandoval

dude! those are rad. Mabye I could buy one from you. I'm in San diego too. I'm in the process of stuffing a new heart into my z, and I would like to hook up a new exhaust system. Those are some mighty fine looking mufflers you got there.

How close is your car to running? My engine at this point is just a bare 4 bolt block sitting in the corner of my garage. I'm looking at at least a year before I can hook these mufflers up to anything that has some cajones. What kind of engine are you dropping into your car? If you give me some dimensions to work with (outside diameter of tailpipe, length from tailpipe to point of exit underbody) I can make one (or two depending on application) for you for free. I just want to hear how they sound attached to a real car so I can make modifications to the design if neccesary. Send me an email and we'll figure something out.

Mike

I'm already in the process of installing a Summitt 16 gal circle track cell in my car, I've got the aluminum box welded up, I just have to start cutting out my spare tire well next. I'll have to get some flat steel sheetmetal to fill in the areas that the fuel cell box doesnt cover as well, The only machine I have at home is a Wal Mart bought, Hausfield Campbell 110 volt wire feed flux core unit. I dont expect that my fuel cell install will look as pretty as the mufflers.....Oh well, I guess thats what rhino lining is for.

Heres a pic of my fuel cell box, it fits around the fuel cell like a glove, it actually takes quite a bit of force to get it all the way in. i guess I dont have to worry about shimming it to prevent movement...

Mike

20155502.jpg

did you weld your alum with that little welder? how did that work out?

id be willing to try your mufflers out. i have a NA L6 and a turbo L6.

the turbo is a straight 3" pipe right now. but should be going to the muffler shop in about a month.

the NA car is a just a 2 1/4 inch system...but im looking at making it 2.5.

anywho..if interested just drop me a line.

laterZ

Actually I welded the fuel cell holder at work with a large Miller machine. You need a machine that will TIG on A/C to do aluminum, most of them are really expensive. I wish I had that one in my garage. I'd have some serious structural mods done to my car by now if I had that. My little Wal Mart machine will only do steel, and only a little at a time, or it shuts down from overheating. Its pretty messy, but should be ok for doing sheetmetal work like framerails and floorboards. I plan on using it to do my driprails sometime in the near future.

Mike

I've seen a guy at the Pamona auto swap who was selling aluminum brazing rod. He did some demonstrations with it that were pretty impressive, even brazing aluminum to steel using nothing more than a butane torch. No s##t. I havent tried it myself though, to stuborn and set in my ways.