HybridZ

Opinions - Car Colour

Guest 250z

Hi all,

The time for painting is drawing near so to those who have got this far, what colour have you done your GTO and are you happy with it ? :?:

I'm thinking about Rosso Corsa but I don't know how many variations of this there are, or what this looks like on fiberglass. SpeedRacer - is this the colour of your GTO? :-D

The other colours I'm thinking about at the moment is some sort of a deep blue or black. :wink:

any opinions appreciated

thanks

FYI, Here is a link with pictures of the real GTO's http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/summary/SN.250.GTO.62.html

Innes Ireland raced a black one that became the lost GTO - yeah it was actually found in a farmer’s field in Texas with weeds growing up through it!

IMHO Ferrari Rosso Corsa is to orange so (please don't tell anybody) I went with Porsche Guards Red.

I can't get to the Stable Autoworks site right now but Jeff has a nice picture of his GTO kit in black. http://www.zcarkits.com/

When you say too orange is that looking at Ferrari's or looking at replica 250 GTO's painted Rosso Corsa?

Did your colour change being on fybreglass or does it not really mattter?

Also does red look too plasticy? I have seen a '73ish Corvette painted red and it looked terrible.

250Z,

Sorry I was a bit slack in getting back to you. I have been concreating and diging rocks up for the last week. Been sleeping very well. :roll:

Guards red was the red for many years and is still a good one. Also have a look at the reds that the new comodores and falcons are coming out in. Very red, and they have plastic bumpers which might give you a indication of what it would look like on glass. There is probably only 3 colours I would use, Black ,red, or the blue use on the ecruse (sp) race cars out of scottland. They are all hard colours to live with. Reds fade. The blue and black will be hot as hell. I like reds myself.

Cheers

Douglas

:) My guess would be that this car is "Ferrari" red http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2404148445&category=7251 See how it looks a bit on the orange side.

It doesn't matter if it's metal, plastic or fiberglass as long as you use the same primer on the whole car. Remember, my car is fiberglass except for the roof, hatch and cowl panel and you can not tell the difference. http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=236622

BTW here are some pictures from the Ferrari GTO 40th Anniversarymeeting http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/events-stories/events/2002/250-gto-40th-anniversary-meet/250-gto-40th-anniversary-meet-gallery/ There is a real pretty dark blue one in there.

SpeedRacer: thanks for your input, I assume you have no regrets with guards red, an option I will think about.

ZROSSA: "Sorry I was a bit slack in getting back to you" - that's alright, the new commodore red is a bit too bright for me.

black or blue - maybe I should build a 2nd one, me thinks defiantly red but maybe I should spend some time at the Ferrari dealer to be sure

DavyZ: I remember seeing the preview to that movie (was pretty sure it was a Z from the look of the window frame but never investigated any further) but never watched it, was there much footage of that 250?

It was only in the movie for a short bit in the beginning. It was dark blue and not black though. Not a very accurate replica for a movie though. Still had the Z hatch. It looked good though.

I have images of Velo Rossas, GTO replicas, and GTOs in almost every color. If you let me know what you'd like to see, I'll dig and post what I find on my website.

It (website) is a never-ending work in progress. I could spend days sitting at the computer posting all the info I've gathered over the last decade!

BTW, one of Joe Alphabet’s Alpha 1 GTO's can be seen in the movie Delirious http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005V9HW/qid=1045934959/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/102-2984283-6499313?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Somehow John Candy gets in it and drives it. :shock: There is actually some pretty good footage of the car on the road.

Joe also loaned the car to the Hardcastle & McCormack for a two hour special. Supposedly a washed up race car driver was street racing kids with his Ferrari 250 GTO down Mulholland Drive. I caught it on TV but never could find a video of the episode.

When I visited Joe to buy my kit he was fixing up the car in his shop because the movie company beat it up pretty bad. The one thing I remember was that it had an old 650HP Formula 5000 (302 SBC) in it with four Weber 2bbl carbs lined up right down the middle of the intake. It looked awesome! :lol:

I have images of Velo Rossas, GTO replicas, and GTOs in almost every color. If you let me know what you'd like to see, I'll dig and post what I find on my website

That would be great, dark blue, black and rosso corsa thanks. Anyone send you video clips?

four Weber 2bbl carbs lined up right down the middle of the intake

thats pretty cool, did it sound the part?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My GTO is finally painted (after 3 months of waiting) I went with 1997 - 2003 Rosso Corsa (paint code 322 if anyone is interested) and it looks great!!

will have to wait for the weekend as the pictures I took last night didn't turn out very well (it's winter here at the moment and I don't get to see any sunlight during the week)

Well it all depends on whether you want something to suit yourself or enhances the so called GTO look.

If you want something thats out there use Ford's Blue Print Pearl its nice and in your face.

If the body prep is excellent or better any bright colour is going to be good.

Ive uploaded some pics to my personal gallery of what inspires my project. Neil

Guest 250z

Thats looking mighty fine 250. I was having a chat to some paint shop people last week and they were saying the redest you ca get is a straight tinter. Very tempted to do it but i also have my office painted in a colour called capsicum wich is a burnt red and it looks really cool. Decisions. Decisions.

Douglas

Guest 250z

ZROSSA:

Sorry didn't understand the word "redest"

BTW I have the RB in and it's off to a engine shop to finish the conversion on Mon (was supposed to be today but they had no room)

Con Brio:

Is VR engineering still around?