HybridZ

Converting 240 to power steering, need help!

JKDGabe

I have the ps assist unit off of an '85 Thunderchicken, everything is in place nicely except for one thing - the rods are too long! I would simply cut them down and weld the threaded part back on but to do that I would be cutting back past where the rubber boot is. Anybody ever done this with this setup before? If there's a website or something on it let me know pls... I searched this site but couldn't find help, may have been looking for the wrong thing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

All you need is to get teh proper tap to redo the threads on the ond of the inner tie rod. Make sure that the inner is threaded at least an inch minimum into the outer for strength and adjustment purposes. I have done this once on a car that we couldn't get the right rack for and it was fine. The threads must be reinstalled as straight as possible or the angular stress on the threads can cause problems. How much shorter you need???

I've not used the OEM rod ends, but I do know that there should be about 4" of threaded rod (but, some ends may be longer than others, i.e. the Mustang vs the T-bird) available. On mine, I cut 2" of threaded rod off each side, which still left about 2" of threaded rod to work with.

Exactly right but he has not listed how much shorter he needs yet. When we did it there was almost an inch of thread left so tapping the remaining straight was simple.

• 2 weeks later...