HybridZ

Who was it that replaced inner rocker with tubing?

mobythevan

I remember seeing someone's website that had pictures where they replaced the inner rocker with rectangular tubing. Who was it that did this? I searched back thru the posts and found one guy that might have done it but his picture links were dead and no www address. I am in the middle of doing this and wanted to see the pics again. Maybe it was someone who is now long gone????

Guest Anonymous

I did it to a 75 2+2. I did it for two reasons; first, was to replace the rusted rockers, and second, as part of a reinforcement plan for a convertible conversion.

I installed 1"x1" tubes at the top of the inner rocker and 1"x 3" in the "box". I installed short vertical tubes to connect the parallel tubes to fill the rocker as needed.

I also replaced the floor pans (18 ga) and frame rails (2" x 3" tubes). I also installed other steel pieces, as needed, to tie everything together.

I saved the outside rocker skin on the car during the project. I spent about $80 at the Metal Supermarket for all of the tubing and sheet metal. I used about 10 sawzall blades, and 5 pounds of mig wire. Oh yeah, a dozen 36 grit discs for the grinder. I never had so much fun.

I have taken the web site down, but I can send you the pictures if you would like.