HybridZ

non-power rack gone bad

Guest Anonymous

Are YOU Certain the "shaft" moves up and down? the actual

shaft running from the steering colum leading from the firewall?

or does just the rack itself move..

Look down at the rack, and have a buddy move the steering

wheel 1/4 of a turn in both directions, and look at the rack... is it

moving Left and Right? maybe alitle bit up and down... ?!

Cuz im willing to bet its not your rack, those rack's are almost

indestructable, but.... the bushings in those racks (rack bushing

and steering coupler bushings) that hold it down, are made of old

rubber that cracks apart with time, u should be able to see where

its being bolted down and the rubber... its prolly all cracked up and

oily.. u can replace these with Polyeurethane

or ABS plastic bushings and this will eliminate 99% of your

wheel wander and play. these are availble through Energy

Suspension thru many parts outlet stores, or at MSI.

If you REALLY grab the steering shaft itself and it moves

up and down, then your rack may be toast... should be

no play in the steering shaft.

just my .02

Dan

The steering column is fine.

The steering coupler is fine.

The outer tie rods are fine.

The inner tie rods are fine.

The rack bushings are fine.

The shaft, inside the rack housing that moves side to side has play in it. You can grab the steering rack boot where the inner tie rod is and move it up and down about 1/16" in each direction. Either the shaft or whatever guides the shaft within the rack housing is worn.

Guest 240hybrid

Welcome zxtman, one possibility to your problem is that the steering gear needs adjustment. The gear housing and adjustment is located right were the steering linkage enters the steering rack. The adjustment is on the bottom of the gear housing that may be your solution. Id check it out before biting the bullet and invest in a new one.

Good luck Chase :D

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did adjust/tighten the steering gear to eliminate the play, and it did, until I tried to turn the steering wheel lock to lock and it would only turn half way in each direction which tells me that the shaft is worn.

It cannot be fixed unless the shaft can be replaced. It's probably easier to buy a new rack except Nissan doesn't have any, and I'm not sure I want to gamble with a rebuilt one. Any suggestions?

Guest 12lbsofbeans

You can rebuild it yourself, I think, hope nissan still has the rebuild kits. I have one with the same problem. The actual rack moves up,down, all around basically in the housing. I have been told its just the end bushings but haven't fixed it yet or ordered parts.

I have another rack that is worn worse, I got it off a parts car and I will use it for a core. Reman. racks are like $300 with a warrenty and I have read of several people on zcar.com using them with good results. Something to think about I guess.

Please post back if you find any good sources or solutions.

I've rebuilt the Z racks before, and I'm assuming here that they are similar to the ZX in this respect. The ends of the rack have bronze bushing that become elongated and worn with time. Once you start tightening the rack adjustment under the rack (which pushes the rack up to the pinion gear), then the rack will get progressively tighter as the rack nears it's left and right lock. The only good way to fix this is purchase the bronze bushings (left and right side) and repair the rack. From what you've described earlier, the rest of the rack looks good.

Guest 240hybrid

Well I hope that those bronze bushings take care of the new problem of not being able to turn completely. Sounds like rebuilding it yourself it the most assuring way that its done right and the cheapest. I hope it all works out good in the end for ya.