HybridZ

What's the best bumpers you've ever seen? 240Z

JKDGabe

My front bumper is beat up a little and rear bumper is missing on my '73 240Z. Is it the law that I have to have them? I think I saw one once without the rear bumper, it looked good. Anybody ever made their own or modded 'em from something else? Help me out with some ideas, I can make pretty much whatever I have a picture of.

Guest Zachb55

Hi, Currently im going through the process of shaving the rear bumper and its not as easy as just taking it off to make it look like those ones youve probly seen. Although the amount of work isnt that great, its about the same as probly putting on a set of flairs. Im going to replace my front bumper with one of MSA's fiberglass ones, i think those are the best looking aftermarket ones, if not the only. Also they have a front valance that integrates a slightly wider bumper into it. From what ive read, the legality of bumpers depends on the state, but in mine (washington) i think it is that if you have anything but the stock bumper at the stock hieght then you are breaking the law, but ive never heard of a person with a honda or a Z car for that matter, get a ticket for an aftermarket bumper. also, most cops probly dont know what every car's bumper looks like originally so if you were to shave it then how would they know the difference, and i see tons of old hot rods around these parts that drive around with rolled pans and they dont get in trouble.

Guest 240hybrid

I believe that front and rear bumpers are mandatory in the U.S., someone will correct me if it doesnt apply to all states. I agree though, NO bumpers looks slick. Anyways, the bumpers on 240's dont offer much protection anyways, the rear bumper bolts up to nothing structually stout, except for the rear valance sheetmetal for god sake :roll: . You could probalbly get away with no bumpers, but will most likely get cited sometime for not having them. As for custom, I read somewhere here that a aluminum bumper from a Fiat can be adapted to fit a 240. Cant remember who posted the info. though,try searching "bumpers". Maybe they'll chime in and help you with the what year/style fiat they come off of. I like and am using the European bumpers(subtle and sleek),like the ones MSA offers. I got mine NEW off ebay, and have seen the same seller offering the same item off/on, their not cheap though :( , but give it a look....might luck out .

good luck :D

I think the way the law is written, if you're going to manufacture and sell a car to the public you've got to have bumpers on it, but after that it's up to the state whether you're required to KEEP the bumper on the car. In Texas, inspectors and cops could care less whether or not you have one.

Take a close look at Pete Paraska's Rear bumper. I like what he did with it.(sic)

Thanks, KraZ4spd!

I too love the naked no-rear-bumper look on a Z also, but wanted some protection and to keep the police off my case.

So, I removed the bumper ends that go around the car, shortened the depth of the Z bumper by 3/4" (from the rear panel to the rear edge of the bumper, and made short, tapered extensions that go to the side edge of the 1/4 panel. Painted it body color.

I made up heavy duty 1/4" steel brackets and 1" black pipe behind it for reinforcement. All welded together as a stiff, strong structure. The bumper you see is just a cover now.

It looks farily inconspicuous(I think so anyway):

firstdrive_RRs.jpg

firstdrive_LRs.jpg

I did the 'glass MSA bumpers on my car - these are SWEET decently priced pieces. They do NOT provide any crash protection though but looking at the stock ones I didn't exspect much from them anyway. The cage is what will hopefully save my bacon...

Guest Zachb55

Well the only fear i have now is all that work i put into shaving the rear bumper be ruined by someone rear-ending me and making it ugly, but if that happends ill probly go crazy and kill the dude so the car will be the least of my worries :twisted: . i dont want to even think about someone hurting my car, grrr, i know its gonna happen though. i guess its a consiquence i have choosen to live with.

:D Thanks Bushido :)

Actually, I decided on that color and blacked out treatment (sail-panel emblems, window trim and frames) before even seeing the Wangan Midnite movies.

Notice I even blacked out mufflers. They are so large and on a dark color they "stuck out" below the 1/4 panel from the side, so flat black (POR-15 or Miracle high temp paint) they became.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest riggerjack

be-a-u-tiful bumpers (that line once got my face slapped). what did you use to black-out your chrome? what kind of prep did you do? as i understood it chrome doesn't take paint so well. i was advised to black rubber coat bumpers or powder coat them. yours look much better than that. thanks