HybridZ

R180 question.

Guest zline

I know that a lot of subarus have R180 diffs...much like our 240Zs now here is my question: Can we bolt in the R180 into our rear end assembly? It'd save the cutting of a R200 to fit the crossmember etc., AND it would provide the same if not more strength as a R200 AND it's WAY newer than R200 out of a ZX!!

Also - I know infinity J30 comes with a VLSD (i run one in my 240SX "night rally" car) I was wondering if they came in 3.54 rear gears instead of 4.10?

Thanks!

Daniel.

Was under a 2002 WRX last week and the rear R180 has a longer snout and a different front mount casting. Maybe the internals could be swapped into a 240 housing.

BTW... just because Subie R180 is newer doesn't mean its better. The Hitachi "R" series hasn't changed much internally since the mid-1960s. All internal parts are still available new - except some of the more unusual ring and pinion ratios.

Was under a 2002 WRX last week and the rear R180 has a longer snout and a different front mount casting. Maybe the internals could be swapped into a 240 housing.

BTW... just because Subie R180 is newer doesn't mean its better. The Hitachi "R" series hasn't changed much internally since the mid-1960s. All internal parts are still available new - except some of the more unusual ring and pinion ratios.

I just meant the newer thing as the have less wear -- wasnt talking about technology or anything just...the fact that they're newer. I know some subaru R180s can be used in 510s....

Would people be interested if I started fabricating a premade R200 adaptable moustache bar with crossmember ?? (by interested i mean would they pay like 200 for it?) It'd use Grade 8 bolts etc.,

I know that a lot of subarus have R180 diffs...much like our 240Zs now here is my question: Can we bolt in the R180 into our rear end assembly? It'd save the cutting of a R200 to fit the crossmember etc., AND it would provide the same if not more strength as a R200 AND it's WAY newer than R200 out of a ZX!!

Guess I am confused. I have a 70 240 that had an R180 until I bolted in an R200 out of a 280.

What am I missing, what needs to be cut? Also I thought subarus had R160's (at least other posts have said so).

Guess I am confused. I have a 70 240 that had an R180 until I bolted in an R200 out of a 280.

What am I missing, what needs to be cut? Also I thought subarus had R160's (at least other posts have said so).

i didnt mean the diff...the moustache bar to fit the crossmember etc.,

Hey Guys,

All of the older Subaru’s (meaning junk yard donors so pre 1990 or so) have R160 differentials IDENTICAL in mounting envelope to the r160 in the 510s. As John C. mentioned, newer ones may have r180s, but they won't be in the junk yards for poor people like me yet... :cry: So I don't know

The r160 in 510s have the same mounting points and coupling points (drive shaft and half shafts) as the r180 in the 240s so if you have an r180 setup in the 240 you can swap it directly with the 510 r160.

If you pick up a Subaru r160 (I'm assuming the LSD unit) you have to swap out the front companion flange and the stub axles with parts from a datsun r160 or r180 (The r160 has the correct dust shield placement on the stub axles, but the r180s will work). The stub axles splines seam to be slightly different between the subi and the datsun rears resulting in a little play in the datsun stubs when used in the subi rear......or it may just be mines wore out.... :o

unless your using the LSD subi rear, I would not replace an r180 with an r160. open r160s may not be beefy enough…jury’s still out on that one…..

if your putting this in a 280 with an r200 then you will need the 240 mustache bar, front mount, front coupler, in other words....ITS A PAIN!!)

but it is about 25 pounds lighter than the r200

just my two cents....Ian

But I think the important thing is an R180 or R200 will bolt directly into a 240 or a 280 with only junkyard, stock Nissan parts. Not really a tough job either way (and not sure why a $200 "kit" would be needed).

Hey Jim,

I missed anyone saying anything about a kit =) I was just wondering about that whole subaru thing and if it was a viable swap to do instead of say a 200SXT or a ZX rear.

hmmm *starts to think about putting a T56 behind his L30T once its complete* anyone know if its just an adapter plate and a R230 rear swap? or do bellhousings have to be fabbed?