HybridZ

Had to listen the BIGGEST RICER BS story today!!!!!!

80LS1T

Guest livewire23

you'd think huh? I dunno how you could miss the sound of eight cylinders firing in the back of a CRX. Until I see it for myself though, this goes in the category of urban legend.

Although 99% of these Honda import guys are nothing more than bench racers, there are those people that fall into the remaining 1% that actually do know what they are doing.

Back in 1996 I actually had a 1991 Civic Hatch DX. I swapped the pathetic 1.5L for a B18 from a 1993 Acura. It didn't have Vtec but I did have some upgrades including Gude cams, DC headers, exhaust etc....Keep in mind this was 6+ years ago and at the time those were good parts. Practically no turbo kits really existed and I had to splice all the wiring myself using nothing but patience and factory Honda manuals. I also fabricated some engine mounts and welded them. At the time, I was one of the few people that had done this swap due to the complexity and fact there were no "bolt-in" kits available. All said and done, the car ran a 14.3 1/4 on BFG Euro T/As. Not bad, but not exactly slow either. Some better tires would have certainly helped with the times but I ended up crashing the car before I had the chance. :( But that is when I got my 240Z which I had lusted after for years so it all worked out just fine. :D

Case in point that not all Hondas are r*cers....

This was recently posted on the vwvortex and it's relevant so enjoy...

video of it against a modified viper:

http://www.cheesefrog.com/frog/cheezevsal.mpg

video of the same viper doing 9.63 1/4 mile:

http://www.house-of-power.com/images/albert.mpg

The Civic is running a dump tube on his turbo so the exhaust looks complete stock from the rear. Very slick.

Here's a pic of the car....

civicmeet_25.jpg

Guest livewire23

I went to this honda shop today to see what was new, and they had this crapped out car sitting in the yard. it had your Z3 fenders and intake ports all over the place and brake vents and shaved door handles and all sorts of other crap all over. I couldnt even tell what kinda honda it was. it looked vaguely familar though. It had no engine in it, but it was just so crappy looking. They said that it was so horrible looking that when the tow truck driver dropped it off he wanted them to sign a waiver saying that he didnt do it. :D funny thing is, this car had just gotten back from the paint shop, and its being prepped as a show car... The shop hated it so much... apparently the owner's a real jerk too. The guy who ran the shop (whose a performance guy), was commenting on how all that body crap probably weighed an extra 100 lbs. They were so pissed at this guy... Turns out it was a prelude. i dunno, these damn ricers... that car was gonna suck so badly, but im sure some people were gonna look at it and be real impressed. I thought it was kinda hilarious that he brought it to this shop, when all their daily driver accords could've smoked this prelude. they wanted nothing to do with it. they even brought in some extra projects so they could say they were too busy to put in the turbo motor. That made no sense either. I need some sleep.

Not all Hondas are ricers true, but all that work for a 14 second car? Sounds great if you use it to AutoX or something, but if you drag 14 seconds is slow, no fibbing about that one.

I prefer cubes just because its easy/cheap and almost always going to be more reliable than a 1.6L trying to punch out 800 HP, and it isn't going to happen on pump gas either.

Not a flame, just speaking from a monetary and feasible point of view. Kind of like the saying, you cant polish a turd Beavis. With that said I still wouldn't mind a slow CRX for a daily beater.

Guest livewire23

yea, thats when i dumped the idea of building a prelude. When I realized that after all my work, I would have a 14 second car, forget it... although one of the guys at the shop, has a 14 second accord, and he took it bracket racing at sears point, and won a trophy. not a fast car, but i'll bet it was fun nonetheless. the car really doesnt have much in it though. its just gutted, with a h22 (prelude) motor in it. Its an autoX machine though. And I hear its got some pretty admirable handling. I guess all the money's in suspension and brakes.

Guest livewire23

yea, I bought my honda as a driver first and foremost. Racing was definately not on my mind when i got it, nor was any kind of modification. Of course, I knew little to nothing about cars at the time. :roll: I'll still stand up for hondas as the common man's car any day of the week.

I don't know of the link any more, but that CRX with that V8 you speak of is something else. They guy retained the stock front end; motor and everything. He then proceeded to replace the whole rear end with tube sections (don't know on this one) and a blown olds V8. He had a flip down gas pedal and a seperate electrical start up circuit for the rear motor. When someone would rev on this little thing, (it wasn't the 2nd gen CRX, it was the first, which is even more of a sleeper) he'd flip down the second gas pedal, and fire the Olds up. He wasn't running an exhaust either, so I'm sure the open headers were a dead give-away. Not sure if anyone would believe it though. Anywho, I'll look for that link.

Beware of any 1st gen CRX's with a little metal showing were the trunk/storage area should be.

Not all Hondas are ricers true' date=' but all that work for a 14 second car? Sounds great if you use it to AutoX or something, but if you drag 14 seconds is slow, no fibbing about that one.

I prefer cubes just because its easy/cheap and almost always going to be more reliable than a 1.6L trying to punch out 800 HP, and it isn't going to happen on pump gas either.

Not a flame, just speaking from a monetary and feasible point of view. [/quote']

Yes, it was quite a bit of work and yes 14.3sec isn't exactly a screaming time I never said it was. It is on par with a stock early 90s 5.0 mustang though which was the major benchmark of the time. So you have to put things in perspective. It was 1996, the stock 1991 Civic DX 1.5L and 4spd did the 1/4 in upper 17s if I recall. A 3+sec drop in your 1/4 time is significant, and since most Honda's couldn't even break 15s at the time (I'm talking street cars, not the all out racers) my 14.3 1/4 time was fast enough to beat most of them. Furthermore, the car was mainly a street car, not an all out racer and I was getting into AutoX at the time which was going to be it's ultimate goal until it's untimely demise.

No doubt that cubes (in your context I read that to mean V8) is a cheaper and an arguably more reliable way of getting big hp. Although I didn't swap a V8 into the thing, I did put the biggest cubic inch engine I could get to fit in that car at the time. 1.5L to 1.8L is a cube increase no? :D

Nevertheless, that Civic I posted about blew me away with it's acceleration. BTW, did you notice the glowing brakes on decel? Can you say faaaaaddddddeeeee. :D