HybridZ

not about Z's but about ford motors...

KiD-ViD

ok here it goes. I have an old '69 econoline sitting around. it has been sitting for about 5 years but my dad just gave me the go ahead to try to fix it up. I believe it to have a 351W engine in it. my dad told me the engine is pretty tired and doesent run very strong but still runs, and he mentioned somthing about one of the valves messing up but he just did a temporay fix kinda thing back when it was running. I will ask him tomorrow exactly what went wrong. now since this has been sitting I am going to flush the gas, oil, tranny fluid, and was thinking about doing diff fluid. am I missing anything? and what kinda prices am I looking at to replace the head and all the parts with one from pick and pull or somthing? thanks for the help guys.

ok talked to my dad and he said it broke a valve guide and he fixed it...this was about 10-12 years ago though. so it shouldent be a problem. I read that heads and cams from 302's will fit so thoes shouldent be too hard to come across at pick-n-pull. but that is a last resort...I want to spend as little money on this as possible. so basically I just need advise on what to do to this engine before trying to start it. it has been sitting for awhile but ran good before it sat. thanks again guys.

ok what exactly should I do before I crank this thing? should I replace the water pump incase it is seized? I have very little experience and I dont want to mess things up. is there anything I should know when doing this? like when replacing the oil dont put the cap on till I let some flow all the way through the engine. thanks again guys.

ok what exactly should I do before I crank this thing? should I replace the water pump incase it is seized? I have very little experience and I dont want to mess things up. is there anything I should know when doing this? like when replacing the oil dont put the cap on till I let some flow all the way through the engine. thanks again guys.

I would change the radiator fluid, oil and filter, drain the old gas, put in new gas, change the gas filter. Change the plugs, rotor, cap. Check all hoses for cracking, change those. Take the old belts off, check your water pump by turning the pulley, replace cracked belts. Install new battery, check all linkages on the carb, make sure they move. Pour a little gas down the carb, and crank to see if it trys to start. It should start for a second ( using gas you just poured in) then die. This should indicate that it will start once the fuel pump brings up new gas from the tank and fills the bowls.

Good luck!