HybridZ

towing

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

Has anyone every heard of a problem towing the 280ZX's. I was told by someone that towing a 280zx (leaving the back wheels on the ground) would hurt the transmition. Something about not getting fluid while something was spinning. I had never heard of this. Then now recently I had my car towed and the clutch feels like it has NO pressure what-so-ever now.. any ideas what could cause this.

Billy

Guest Anonymous

In general, it is not a good idea to tow any car with the drive wheels on the ground. If you do, make sure it is in neutral. As for the clutch, have you tried to bleed it?

Guest polarity

not yet. I have no idea how to even being bleeding a clutch. I have never dont ANY clutch/tranny work.. I've barely even seen one.. If you could give some points I would apprecite it. Or any help really..

Billy

Guest Anonymous

Clutch slave cylinder is located under car on the side of the tranny. It has a hose going to it that looks like a brake line. This cylinder has a bleed screw on the side of it. Put the car up on ramps, have a buddy depress the clutch and hold it, open the bleed screw, close the bleed screw, have your buddy let the clutch back out. Do this several times until only fluid and no air come out. Make sure the clutch mastyer cylinder has plenty of brake fluid, this is under the divers side inspection panel. Also you might want to get some how to books from you local auto parts store. Good luck. Mark

Yes it does hurt it! Theoretically you should take out the driveshaft if you are going to tow it. It has something to do with no oil cerculation in the tranny. I can't remeber exactly what it was but it was something along those lines. On the other hand I have never heard of anybody hurting theyre tranny when towing but maybe that's just luck of the draw? I do no that it does hurt it though!

And this is not just the ZX's is all trannies.

Guy

I dont know didley about automatics, but you are supposed to unhook the driveshaft. I MAY have to do this myself, as I am not gauranteed a flat bed for my tow this saturday, so I need to find out ahead of time how to do this, but it is usually just a couple bolts and voila.

It is my understanding that you should never tow an automatic. The engine runs the pump which circulates fluid through the trans. Manuals do not have such a pump, so they are generally safe to tow in neutral.