HybridZ

PHOTO OF MY SUMP INSTALLED

BRAD D

Very sharp. I would be concerned about running the lines forward under the tank though. That's a lot of exposer curbs and parking lot stops.

Jeggs and Summit sell weld on sumps for about $50. That's what I bought. For efi just drill holes in the bottom of your tank instead of cutting a hole as big as the sump. Thay way you have a baffle and the sump acts like a surg tank.

fbs01r16f04.jpg

20dcp_2717.jpg

Dan, you mean several small holes like in the above pic? That's kinda what I was thinking of. Also Dan, what size tires are you running on your car? They look nice and wide.

One more question...what size fittings would be good for someone running a 280ZXT engine thats putting out about 300 HP? Thanks.

Brad, I would be interested in getting one soon. Right now I got other things I am saving up for. But soon I'll need to get a sump.

Is it hard to weld to the gas tank? I guess you just need to go slow to not warp thin metal on the gas tank?

We could work some thing out. I dont think shipping would be too much.

I would even trade for some parts, M-bar or 280 Stub/flange??

let me know.

here are some tips on the install

1. Remove tank from car.

2. Remove fuel level sending unit from tank.

3. Wash tank with a pressure washer, or have steam cleaned.

4. Sand blast or grid bottom of tank to make it easier to weld.

5. Position sump on tank with the fuel fittings facing the rear of the car.

6. Trace around the outside of the sump with a marker.

7. Remove sump and with a 1.5" hole saw drill a pattern in the bottom of the tank, being careful not to make a hole over the traced line.

8. Clean out metal chips in tank.

9. Position and weld sump in place. NOTE: tack the sump in a lot of places, because when the tank heats up from welding it will pull away from the sump, making a big gap to fill with weld.

10. Check for leaks.

11. Paint tank with good quality paint like POR15.

I have lots of extra 240Z and 260Z parts. I might even have a few things from a 280ZXT. I got an extra AMF and some other engine parts. I got some S.U. carbs laying around. What do you mean buy an M-bar? I also have an extra cross member laying around. Lots of stuff.

Also, I got another question. If I do not want to put all the extra hoses and that metal vent tank back into the car that come off the gas tank...can I just add like a roll over vent valve on to the stock gas tank?

I blocked off all my other lines, using the old feed as a return and a vent from the top of the tank. Im not saying that that is the best thing to do but that is what I did.

As far as parts to swap for a sump, I am in the middle of a RB26 swap, so the parts Im looking for are to swap in an R200 diff. So I need the M-bar that holds the diff. so I need all 280Z parts.

So, if I can come up with a M-bar that is from any 280Z that has a R200 in it, you'll trade me for a sump straight across. I have one but am going to use it myself. I can get another one maybe. I'll have to check my sources and see if I can get another one. You are talking about just the rear bar that goes behind the diff right? I want to make sure I get the right part.

There was a list of years and car models that had R200s in them...do you know which 280Z cars had R200s in them and what years. I think the 80-83 5 speeds all had them. Do you know for sure? I know where some auto cars are, I am jsut not sure they had R200s

Jason, Brad has great pics. He took the time to take "how-to" pics, wish I did. Yes, holes like Brad's pic. I only have two holes though, both about 1" dia. For a stock tank Brad's $60 made-to-fit sump is a great deal. You probably don't need as many holes as Brad has, I would think 2 or 3 would work fine.

I painted my tank with body shutes (sp?) undercoating stuff.

I concur, -6 should be plenty big enough.

Those tires? 305/50/15's. Traction baby! :burnout::burnout:

I don't have any pics, but this is what I had my metal fabrication buddy make for me:

He cut out a small square (4" x 4") from the bottom of the tank, right where the pickup tube is. This original drain plug comes with it. He then fabricated a small sump of the same size, with about a 4" box welded to it. The box has two tubes that come off the box near the bottom and run from front to back of the car. He then inserted the whole assembly back into the tank (with the pickup tube in the center of the box), and TIG welded it in. He also put a drain plug in the sump too. So I use the stock pickup, and a soldered in brass 3/8" barb for the return. Works great. I autocross and do track events, and have not had any starvation problems. I could draw a picture if people are interested.

Pete

Those are some beefy tires Dan. I ordered some 17 inch Pintails from Centerline. I want to put 245/50s on them. I think thats about as big as I can go. Thanks for all the info. about the sump. As soon as I can come up with the cash or the parts he needs I'll get it. I have so many other Z parts I need to get. The upgraded turbo is next. Lots of money going into this car, but I know it will be worth it.