HybridZ

Supercharged Moped... the carb doesn't like the boost.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, This is a bit off the general topic here but someone might be able to help or at least point me to someone who could. Basically I have mounted a smog pump off an old truck on my moped. I am really surprised by how much air it moves. Anyways when I have it hooked up to the carb inlet it revs up really fast at the same time spitting out a bunch of gas from all of the different fittings on the carb and then it dies, if I pull the tubing off as its reving back down it will continue to idle but if I leave it on it will just die. Basically it will work proporley for a split second and then crap out... Any Suggestions? any turbo carb gurus hear or anyone know any? I want to get this thing up and running Maybe it'll do wheelies

Guest Anonymous

Hey, cool idea.

You might try putting the entire carb assembly inside a plenum that is fed by the smog pump. Paxton did this on some of the early supercharger kits they built in the late sixties. (youll find them on some mustangs I think)

Cheers, Mike.

Guest livewire23

I dont know if this is what 4BBL was talking about, but I know a dood who used to race datsun 510s i believe, and he but the entire carb assembly in a welded metal box, so the entire box was pressurized and boosted. dunno if this applies, or if you're already doing this or what, but i always thought it was cool.

Those guys are on the right track. Carburetor works on pressure differential and the positive displacement screws it up. You need to figure out how to get the whole carb in an enclosure so the pressure inside the box is the same as the pressure inside the intake tract. There is still a differential above and below the carb venture so it will meter.