HybridZ

houston, tx area junkyards and a few questions for a newbie

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi, i just recently purchased a '75 280Z and it has an automatic transmission. rather than spending the money to fix the tranny and rebuild the stock motor, i'd like to put in a v8. hopefully you guys can sway me in the right direction. would it be safe to pull a v8 (hopefully if i'm lucky, an LT1) from a junked car? which cars would have an LT1, which ones would have a t-56 tranny? i'm told LT-1's were made from 93 on, but its better to get one from 94. any good places in the houston area? i'm very tight on funds right now.. i'm just a poor college student eager to get the project rolling. spring break is coming up so it would be great to be able to work on it then. thanks for the help.

Wow. Do a search here first, even scan all of the titles from the last few weeks.

LT-1 was made in 1970-1972, the LT1 from 1992-1997. T56 can be found ONLY in LT1 Camaros and Firebirds from 93-97. '93 is the speed density motor, the others are MAF. There are other differences in motors as well as transmissions, so I would suggest a google search and then come back with any specific Q's. Lots of info can be found on Impala SS boards or F body boards.

Also, buy the JTR (Jaguars that Run) manual. THat will be the number one piece of advice you get from this group.

I have talked to A-1 Auto 888 391 1289 and they are highly recommended to me for as a source of complete pullouts. If the engine you want is not in stock in Houston they pull one in from another location as they are nationwide. Prices for both Corvette and F body seemed quite fair. I am planning to get mine there as the combination of price./availability is better than any other source I have found locally. PS if you are a poor college student maybe a non injected complete motor is a better solution for $ purposes...complete from a hotodder or ? You can always upgrade and do it really right later. I had to wait til all my "college students" graduated to do this car. john