HybridZ

Dumb question, but this is getting tedious.. where can I get

I want some that look good (won't distract from the rest of my engine), are compact, and won't mount the alternator five feet above the valve cover or somewhere in the vicinity of the driver's side front tire. Price is a concern ($30 or less, so no heim-jointed March brackets for me). My setup is just an SBC with a Weiand SWP and I'm going to be running single-groove pulleys. I CAN NOT use header brackets due to the tight curve of my Flowtech headers and lack of bolt clearance (can't back the bolt out enough to mount the bracket). Anywhere online I can get a kit, or is there a shop you guys can recommend me to? I know it's sort of a newbie question but I tried one kit that looked good and it wasn't. I bought a header-mount setup and like I said, that's no good. Mounting my alternator is the last thing I need to do in the engine bay before I can get it all wired and ready to go. Please help!

Nion,

Since I like to fab stuff up, and if you do too, I can recommend a lower smog pump bracket to mount the alternator on. Use an alternator bolt spacer (they are cheap) and washers to get the correct alignment. It fits very tight to the center of the motor and you can even use a much shorter fan belt. Kits are nice because they are ready made, but in this case, it can almost be made for free...

Davy

I got one that mounts my alt. down low beside my harmonic balancer.......I too run a swp (Stewart).

Their's a handy compact/strong Transdapt bracket, no PN handy as I never did scare it up. Here's a pic of where mine's mounted.

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001067

And to answer Lones q' I missed in August......their's nothing at the top of my rad for support :cool: . I 'just' set it on two alum. angle brackets I mounted to my lower rad. surround and then had two flanges welded it's side tanks to which I put 2 holes per side thru my rad surround with bolts/nuts and rubber bushings from a rad shop with copper sleeves.

Ross, you're using the kit I wanted to use (or similar). In an early Z with the JTR kit it hits the motor mount, as Mike mentioned, and it also hits the steering rack. I will take a look for a smog pump bracket, thanks DavyZ.

Any other suggestions?

Nion, if I can find a pic of my engine (it's not in 'my pictures' cry2.gif ) I'll email you a picture--the alternator tucks up very close to the waterpump. Again, that's if I can find one. Auxilary probably has one someplace, but I think he's been busy lately.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

not as cheap as you want maybe but $60 aint bad for that cool of a bracket. I plan on buying it unless I get froggy and go for the sepentine kit. Thought maybe I could get serp pulleys off a late model to save money but they wouldn't be perf ratios or aluminum.

Nion, you have mail.

Nope, it is much smaller than that. Mine came from a '77 Camaro motor and it holds the alternator like it was made for it (almost). Look at the pics I sent you--they show it installed and all, but you won't really see too much of the black bracket on the black motor, behind the alternator. Frankly, I would not pay much at all for such a bracket--they are practically free at the junkyard, etc. $19!?!?? for that ebay bracket? Sheesh, no way. I hope the pic does help some--if you really want to pursue this, I'll pull the alternator and invite Auxilary to come over and snap a pic or two. Just let me know.

Davy

Originally posted by 73 240:

Hmmmm. No pic in inbox. Was that message actually for me? Anyway...I would like a pic still if that is possible.

Hmmm, I sent it to your email address: wingnut1@prodigy.net ---is this correct? I sent it again at 10:15 AM west coast time.

Larry, you have mail too at the same time.

Guys, let me know if they go through; and they better have gone through by now shifty.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Not sure what happened the first time but I got em now. Nice pics by the way. The gold scheme is pretty cool. You aught to get the hold moroso valvecovers and aircleaner to match. I have a set in gold but they have some scrtches and a ding on one corner. Bought the so that I could use temp if needed or cut them open to set my rockers. Now I am going soild roller so that won't be neccessary.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

is THIS what it looks like?

that's way too much but if that's what it looks like I'll know what to look for at the junkyard.

EDIT: I found another one here, what do you think? correct one?

DavyZ, I hate to bother you but could you send those pictures over again? They somehow got lost, I had them on my PC but couldn't get them onto my Mac (main machine) and the PC's mail program is dead (typical).

Mine looks like the 1st one ('69 Camaro bracket) but I wouldn't worry about the 'look' so much because they attach to the block the same way--you have to use a spacer (like I did) or washers to place the alternator correctly in line with the pulleys anyway. Also, you may have to space the earlier one from the block with a washer or two, but it is really no big deal; I did the same. You'll have your pics tonight, although the bracket is a bit hard to see.

Davy

Hmm, they both say 69+ Camaro/Nova and they appear to be the same part - at least, very very similar. I managed to get some of those header brackets to work today but I don't think I actually like them much.. your setup looks much, much cleaner and the header brackets interfere with my #1 cylinder spark plug wire (not much extra length on that one to go around the bracket). I think I'll just return the brackets to Kragen and bid on the cheaper one from eBay and see what happens smile.gif

What pulleys should I order to get the correct spacing? I see that yours have three grooves.. I'd like to have the minimum number possible, just because it's much cleaner that way.

Thanks a bunch for the pictures again, and the help - i appreciate it a lot.