HybridZ

Wiring a Radio...

Guest Look A Z

Guest Look A Z

Hey Everyone,

I might be picking up a car in SoCal in about 2-3 weeks (240z with Chevy 383). The darn thing doesn't have a freaking RADIO!! :( Yeah so I need to put one in. The guy said that on the fuse box there is two open slots and I can use one for the radio if I wanted to. So how would I hook up the radio from the fuse box? I know I need to find a ground bring some speakers and all that good stuff. But just need to know how to do that.

Even though a radio isnt currently in the car the factory radio wiring should be there. It may be laying there and unless the factory radio wiring harness has been chopped or used for another purpose it should be there.

If you are running a radio and no other components you need a wire that is hot only after the key has been turned on.

Grab your test light out & where the radio used to be look for the factory wiring and if you dont smoke you can wire your cigarette lighter to the power antenna.

As for the fuse panel having two xtra terminals...I cant answer that one.

Kevin

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Head units require a permanent power line, an accessory power line and a ground, thats about it to get them running. Then its up to you to connect speakers and an antenna.

Using a multimeter or test light you can find an accessory line like the cig. lighter suggested. Instead of disconnecting it you can simply splice it and solder a wire across to your stereo for the acc. line. Splicing is fine as this line is used just to switch the unit on when the car is on, the power is drawn thorugh the permanant battery power.

The permanent power (battery power) could be taken from your fuse box or taken directly from the battery with an inline fuse.

The ground can be taken from the chassis (clean metal) or spliced into the ground wire of another device such as the cig. lighter or a ground wire can be run to the ground source for the rest of the loom.

My car had a radio installed in it when I got it (JVC-removeable type) and I took a look at how it was wired. There was a wire going from the p. side speaker, under the quarter window, to the factory connector under the dash. I couldn't find the other wire for the d. side speaker. Maybe it's in there. It's a g/y wire :?:

Guest Look A Z

Tim it is somewhere in the LA area. It is Jame's car, it was nicknamed CHUD. I am pretty sure I have a good idea on how to hook everything up.