HybridZ

Wanna be diffrent? Here's an Idea I'm thinking of.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This isn't exactly the forum for it but there isn't a forum for these engines so figured this is a good place as any..

Has any one ever considered the use of a EJ20? Comes NA, Turbo and I've seen a Twin Turbo, heh might of been a misprint, not exactly why someone would create a Twin turbo 4 cylinder Boxer engine but hey! might own.. I'm kind of playing around with this idea, I love Nissan's but if it's going to come down to hybrid then ANYTHING goes. WRX's can produce some major Horsepower they even have one thats 740HP from a dealer YAY! for go fast Goodness plus I don't have a weight on the engine yet but it's 4 cylinder so it's prob. pretty light...

easy1-lrg.gif

PS, Lets not tell the normal people about this shall we?

Guest Anonymous

Not sure, dunno jack bout boxer's but figured it was an idea, but I do know that if you want a rumbly exhaust, this ain't the motor thing sounds like a dirt bike and more farty than Opra after a Mexican dinner buffet.

Guest Anonymous

Hmm .. the more i look at the cars and what they've done the more i like it, I'm more into road racing with curvies and etc, so when I get my Z and pic a motor I'm aiming to keep the car light weight, with a good mix of power, and balance so this would work, and ya they are AWD buy aren't GTR Skylines too? so maybe swap it out, or maybe a custom bell housing?

ya they are AWD buy aren't GTR Skylines too? so maybe swap it out, or maybe a custom bell housing?

all of the RB powered Z's, except for one (Expert Nakamura) have a rwd GTS-T tranny bolted up to it. i'd love to see the drivetrain of a wrx stuffed into an s30, that thing would be a terror :twisted:

Rear wheel drive is no problem. The boxer is north south mounted so you just dont hook up the front wheel drive shafts. I really don think it will fit in the engine bay. They are bloody wide. I will go and measure my wifes one...hang on....just under 30 inchs wide from valve cover to valve cover. It has a little over 30ml clearence between the heads on the frame rail. This car is a major pain in the arse to change plugs on as is. I am told the factory service manual says to drop the engine to do the plugs. It took me over four hours the first time i did it. Watch the import engines. Make sure you get the manual trans ones. The autos have less power to make the trans live. Tranmissions are the week link but they might get a easyer life in a rear wheel drive situation.

The twin turbo are a sequential. One is larger then the other. The little one works a lower revs and the larger one kicks in about 4000 rpm. this is suposed to give a wider power band. Good in theory but in practise it doesnt really work that well. The factory STI cars make the same amount of power and use a single turbo. The sti cars are bloody quick. My father in law had one and untill he bought a evo 7 that was the fastest thing i had ever been in the odd factory V8 included.

Look for a closed deck block. They came on the Legacy gt's and the sti wrx's. Another idea might be the engine from the Svx. 3.3 lts of turbo flat six seems like a better place to start. They all came in auto only though.

This might just work after all.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

Hmm I'm liking it more and more, use a transmisson from a 240SX w/ custom bell housing, or maybe use your stocker.. Um not to sound stupid but whats 30ml in the US? lol, And maybe, just maybe.. You can keep the AWD function, you can get the EJ20T in the 600-700 range tanny is in about the same price, as well. Isn't their someone on the board that has the ablity to import front clips? Tought I picked up the notion when someone was talking about getting engines, Was it Fairlady? Id try to get a Impreza or WRX fron clip imported the JDM's stock i hear are more race breed..

Guest Anonymous
more farty than Opra after a Mexican dinner buffet

:lol:

well it's true, only draw back of 4 cylinders with 3 inch exhaust... If I did a 4 Cylinder swap I'd be as tempted as to get with someone in Aust. and see if they can line me up a SARD Exhaust muffler. Unless someone knows a place that sells them in the US?

Guest ON3GO

WRX motor is badass.

my friend has a WRX but he's selling it cuz he is getting the new STI :)...

but if you wanna talk about putting a wrx motor in a different car then you gotta talk to my friend..

he's putting one in his 1969 VW beetle... oh yes 10sec car easy...very easy.

and thats on a stock motor really.

mike

Guest Anonymous

lol that's actually kinda scary .. I don't mind getting beat on a straight away, prop's to those who do it, but when it comes down to curve's I've got to own lol think it came from learning how to drive in a BMW Z3, word of advice, never try to a braking traction U turn in a short lenth, wide wheel base car with the TC on..god it hurts.

Is he going to the STI just for looks or is their a major gain in the horsepower/technology that can't be done with the current engine?

Guest ON3GO

yep the STI has 300hp and 300lbs, about the same weight as the reg WRX..around 3100lbs.

big ass brakes, nice seats, new 2004 wrx's look diff then the 2002 he has.

has the good awd system like in japan (i think).

plu its a 2.5 not just the 2.0 :)

crazy fast, and crazy nice...

oh and btw, the beetle wont be a drag car :) hehe, he has custom widen fenders, 16x10 in rims, and a awesome suspension.

handling is number 1, then 400+hp is a bonus.

:)

mike