HybridZ

silicon piping cost too much

Guest De Schmaydee

Guest De Schmaydee

....i think they charge too much for this stuff.....i've kinda been surfing around ........and there's a ton of rubber hoses that'll take more heat pressure and vacuum (a lot more) than this silly-con stuff they charge us an arm and leg for....and a 2"X 1' of it cost $5 (of course you might have to buy it by the mile).......but check this out.....(for example)....

https://www.thomasregional.com/ecatalog/hometrootop.html?y=TH10469913934340&us=3e67daa98f1d9&heading=2557&pub=11&acct=1131222&y=TH10469913934340&az=73756231&page=phindex&goback=/profile.html

...well it didnt do what i wanted....but there's a bunch of types of hoses (not silicon) that oughtta work for intercooler tubing...look around in there and see what you guys think

...............s

here is some info from http://www.turbohoses.com Hoover owns this shop and has a 500hp L28.

1. Are thicker hoses better? Thicker hoses are only stronger if they are fiberglass wrapped in "quality" silicone. Most manufacturers machine process their hoses. It provides them a cost effective method to mass produce hoses using polyester fabric, aramid , nylon and cheaper commercial grade silicone to compensate for "quality " silicone integrity. Any structural application should have fiberglass centers. Below are an examples of different brands of silicone hoses.

2. How can I tell a good quality hose from other hoses? Good quality Silicone is apparent from the richness of the color. Some manufacturers use two different types of silicone; one for the exterior and one for the interior. If your hose was not specifically made for coolant or oil use, it usually means a lower quality material has been substituted. However, there are special linings that are for coolant and oil applications. Silicone also has an adhesive quality on the exterior layer.

3. How much heat can a hose handle? Our hoses can have handled over 1000 degree F. in one hour increments and 600 degree F. continuously for 168 hours (1 week) . The majority of other manufactures will fall somewhere in the 300 degree F. to 550 degree F. maximum range.

4. Are cold air intake hoses the same as turbo hoses? Cold air intake hoses do not need to be made from silicone.

5. How do I clean the hoses? A small amount of rubbing alcohol , WD-40 or soap with warm water and just wipe. We recommend using the WD-40 for grease marks.

6. When will I need a thicker hose? A thicker hose is often mistaken for a stiffer hose. The in between lining will ultimately determine the tensile strength/temperature rating and has very little to do with the thickness of the hose. Some manufacturers may add filler to the silicone for added rigidity, but it will not have nearly the tensile strength/heat resistance of fiberglass.

7. How should a hose fit? Any connector for force induced applications should fit like a surgical glove and be snug.

8. Which kinds of hose clamps are best? Clamping force isn't the only reason hoses blow off during high boost and/or vibration of engine. Proper length, tensile strength and overall condition of the hose all contribute to the stability of intercooler/turbo connections. Also, over torque will cause damage to the hose. We recommend either Constant-Torque Clamp and Spring loaded T-bolt clamps that self adjusts during thermal expansion and/or contraction.

9. Why use silicone instead of rubber hoses? Silicone has a much higher temperature yield. Silicone wrapped with fiberglass will have an even higher temperature yield (500 to 600dg F.) than normal grades of commercial silicone wrapped with other materials. The benefit of good silicone under high temperature is its increased adhesion properties to metal under high temperature. Although minute, this will reduce the possibilities of pressure/boost loss.

10. Where/when should I use Spring Loaded T-Bolt Clamps? Spring Loaded T-Bolts are best use at the compressor outlet. This is one of the most likely places that hoses, pipes etc...come flying off when under "heavy" boost. Our heavy duty spring loaded t-bolts adjust to the expansion/contraction of the hose/piping is under tremendous strain from boost pressure and temperature.

its about the only thing i dont look to do with anything less than the best

a hose snapping off in the middle of driving hard can mean instant turbo and engine death, or result in premature failure really soon after the incident. leaking hoses result in sudden performance loss and you can stall where your really dont want to , like a busy bridge or something.

they are not to be taken lightly. i would say yes shopping around is good, but not using the proper hoses in this instance can kill a project pretty fast.

this is why my intercooler install is taking me forever, i am routing my piping first and doing all the weldign of pipe necessary, so i have to use as FEW of teh GOOD couplers that i have to!

Guest De Schmaydee

.........the i.c. piping is an incredible pain.......i know a guy that used a radiator hose (on his supra)......i told him not to...but he did anyway.....and has had it on there 3 years w/o a prob......r-hose is definately not the stuff to use....but there are hoses that are specifically designed to transfer hot air.....(and they dont cost $50 for 2inches)

.......it will also take much more pressure and not collapse on vacuum and is many times more durable......

....more or less it can be used for the whole project as opposed to just connecting the metal pipes together and a mandrell bender is not needed (doesnt look as nice though).......s

you could always use turbo hoses that came on oem cars, problem is with that is its always pretty small from the factory. im going to use some starion, supra, and rx7 factor turbo couplers for the turbo side of my ic piping, im not going much larger than the 2" inlet, and they look to be tough as heck. probably 2-2.25 on that side--------im going CHEAP-er on this one by sizing the pipes along with my tb and turbo inlet needs.

routing intercooler piping sucks, no if, ands, or butts about it. one side of my turbo piping is gonna be sin ugly, but it is NOT coming off. the other side will look pretty good, probably a 2.5 to the tb. its true, a 200.00 ic will cost you 200.00 to plumb, if not more.

Guest De Schmaydee

......i'm just tring to see whats available......there are a lot of pretty amazing products out there that few people ever into contact w/ .....i see these flexible hoses that are teflon coated on the inside etc......i think 1 single peice (no joints) of 2"-2.5" hose teflon (or something slick) coated on the inside hose could be really work well.......of course its gotta be able to take the heat/cold , and be very flexible but not expand w/pressure or collapse on vacuum....silly-con is some great stuff....but its the most expensive hose of any i've seen.........like i said i'm just kinda piddling around to see whats out there........s