HybridZ

Is it possible to have a twin turbo 5.0 Z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering how much room does a 240z have with a 5.0. Could you put twin T-3 on the engine w/o cutting the frame. If so would I run close to mid 13's with a stock engine with tt? The turbos would be coming out of a 80's Ford thunder bird.

I pondered the idea of turbo(s) for a while. I believe that a single T04 would be pretty simple(at least as far as space). Two turbos would take some imagination (at least if you retain the stock wheel wells). I considered mounting the turbos in the wheel well area behind the front tires, and running the exhaust through to the turbos, The outlet of the compressors could run parallel to the tops of the fenders(over the tires) to an intercooler in front of the radiator. All it takes is time and a whole bunch of money. :D

For my purposes(autocross), turbos are not the way to go. The 5.0L can be built up to 400+ horsepower without much effort, and the naturally aspirated torque curve is much more predictable. If you want to drag race it then turbos are hard to beat.

My take on this (when I last thought about how to do it) was to swap exhaust manifolds so that both manifolds exited forward and above the ports. Then mount the turbos there (with the engine mounted rearward just off the firewall as most of the Ford folks do, this gives you some room for the turbo up front. Your intake plumbing then is up front for any IC you use. I am not well versed in force induction, but this seemed a logical way to try it out.